asnow
Valued Contributor II

This week I've had the privilege to rub shoulders with contractors from all over the country, and even Canada and Australia at the Service World Expo in Tampa, Florida. I attended a breakout session earlier today and got some good nuggets that I wanted to share with all of you - all about listening!

In customer service, our customers want to be heard and understood. Effective listeners listen with an intent to understand, and ineffective listeners listen with an intent to respond

Effective listeners set aside their own opinions and assumptions and ask questions to learn more. An effective listener should be present and focused with their minds clear in order to hear what the other person is saying. One of the deepest needs we have as human beings is to be understood.

Ineffective listeners are often preparing their response as they are listening to others. They jump to conclusions or believe they already know what the other person is trying to communicate. Ultimately, an ineffective listener is focused on their own needs and desires rather than those of whom they are speaking with. 

To practice becoming a more effective listener, here are some things you can try:

• Repeat back to the customer what they have said. It forces you to listen.
  • Rephrase what they said by putting their words into your own words. It forces you to think about what they said.
  • Reflect feeling by trying to relate to the way they are feeling about the subject matter. If you're unable to relate, share that as well.
  • Show empathy by identifying the feeling they are sharing. Validate their feeling and why they are feeling that way before you offer to help. 

As you strive to become a more effective listener, remember that you can't help them if you don't fully understand their needs. Take the time you need and stay focused on each individual customer so that they can feel heard, understood, and validated.

15 Comments
JessicaSmith
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

This is great advice Angie! Even when we *know* these things, practice makes perfect!

RandiThompson

I just copied this and sent it to my CSR's!! 

JessicaSmith
knorris
New Contributor III

Love this! My favorite way to describe it to my team is "Listen to each customer like you would your grandmother. Listen carefully and always try and be empathetic.". I also make a point to repeat back the customer's name at the end of the call. "Thank you Robert, I hope you have a great day!" They never expect it at the end of the call. 🙂

mcrouse2
New Contributor II

This is great! I will be sending out to my team 🙂

asnow
Valued Contributor II

@knorris YES! It's absolutely like talking to your grandmother! And I love the extra touch of adding their name. That's a person's favorite word - their name! I tell our CSRs to be sure to use it at least twice during the call!

ToniF

I share with the CSRs and dispatchers here a tidbit Monday morning so this morning was an EASY one.

THANK YOU because this morning was just a copy and paste 

The "we need to listen to understand not listen to respond" is how my personal relationships work, my children when they were younger, my spouse, my parents. 

Everyone is always in such a hurry, we need to pause and listen in all aspects of our life! 

JessicaSmith

@ToniF I love that you share something with your team every Monday. What are some other examples you've shared in the past?

ToniF

Motivational Monday

It can be a simple meme, it can be a quick one liner reminder, it can be something that Service Titan came out with in their release that will make their job easier, Work Life Balance,  a recipe I tried over the weekend and bring in a samples of creations, dealing with stress, a highlight reel of the week or month depending on what's been happening. 

Mondays is the start of a new week so we get 52 times a year to start fresh. This also helps ME and reminds ME that my mood can effect my team. If I come in all pissy, grouchy, miserable my team feels it too and trickles down to them and trickles to the phone calls they take or make.   I cannot say I am GREAT at this but its my Monday motivation so I TRY! 

• Okay, it’s Monday but who said Mondays have to suck? Be a rebel and have a great day anyway. – Kimberly Jiménez
JessicaSmith

@knorris @stephaws "Mondays is the start of a new week so we get 52 times a year to start fresh."

This is good advice!

knorris
New Contributor III

@JessicaSmith I love the idea of a Motivation Monday or something to that affect! 

Zakw
Contributor

Every Monday afternoon, we have a meeting and we start it with a "win" both personally and professionally from the previous week. Mondays can be rough, takes a while to get out of first gear, for your caffeine of choice to kick in. But starting every Monday meeting with our wins lets us celebrate a great week and sets the tone for the week to come to be just as great!

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

I have always said that there is a difference between "hearing" and "listening". With hearing you hear the words the person are saying but with listening, you are taking into account their feelings and are actively engaging in the conversation. Listening requires empathy and more effort for sure but will be appreciated and get you further both in personal and in work life. I love this conversation and the comments here so far!

reneem

I shared this to my team. a great reminder not to just listen, but listening to understand!

Zakw
Contributor

Have you ever been talking to someone, and you know they are not actively listening? 

Active listening involves paying attention, and by that I mean your full attention to the speaker. If there are any people in here who have talked to a sports fan during a game, you know what I mean by not actively listening.

Take the time, to give your time fully to the speaker and you'll both reap the rewards. I just had a conversation with a customer who had felt the last company who was out, was not paying attention to her, and had brought out the wrong filter. It could have been an honest mistake, or it could have been bad listening skills. Either way, I gained that customer that they lost.