As a dispatcher, what do you think is a common misconception about your job?

Zakw
Contributor

I've been a dispatcher in Washington state for nearly 20 years.....oh wow.

I was wondering what my fellow dispatchers have encountered in terms of what people are mistaken about what we do.

Very curious to get some great feedback,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RandiThompson
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

I love it! The weirdest part of the transition was hearing cuss words in the office 😂 Technicians are really just big children so its technically not that different! Also angry customers are like angry parents! 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Zakw
Contributor

Thank you all for the great chat. Watching a windstorm here now and limbs down in the roadways are causing detours and yesterday the Vice President was in Seattle and that caused many detours. One great thing about being a dispatcher, everyday gives you problems to creatively solve! 

Zakw
Contributor

I never worked at a daycare but I did work at Toys r us (remember those?) and people used to treat those as free daycare! 😉

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

That's hilarious! I do remember those. I can see that experience having many interesting stories haha!

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling

JessicaSmith

I was a manager at Kay Bee Toys (that died before Toys R Us did!)

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

I remember shopping at kaybee! I can still remember the smell of the plastic!

It's amazing how many of us have so much in common!

RandiThompson

rthompso_0-1666812918570.gif

Randi Thompson

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

I recently switched careers this year. I went from working in a daycare to working in an office as a CSR. I answer the phones and dispatch, respond to emails, order parts, register warranties, etc. Everyone is like "it must be such a change and so quiet now." I work in the office with one other person so yes, it is quieter than daycare in some ways but it is still super busy. It's just a different type of busy is all. A lot of people think you're just booking appointments but we do so much more than that and it can still be a stressful job. I have so many things to remember and I always have numerous tasks on the go all at once. I'm receiving jobs via email, text, calls, in person. It can be a lot. I wouldn't say that it's an easier than my other job per say, just a different type of stress is all.

Khiana Klatt

RandiThompson

I went from working at a daycare for 9 years to a HVAC receptionist back in 2007!!

Randi Thompson

So cool to meet another person who transitioned from daycare to the HVAC field! I was in the daycare field for about 7 years and just transitioned to HVAC this summer. How did you like the switch? What did you find hardest about it?

Khiana Klatt