Ordering parts workflow

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Hello fellow CSRs and dispatchers!

As CSRs I know we often take on a wide variety of roles. I am wondering how your office workflow runs. Do the CSRs or someone in the office order the parts for the technicians service calls as well as restocking or do the techs order their own parts as needed throughout the day? We are currently working on getting set up with ST inventory so eventually restocking will be so much easier! However, currently I am ordering the techs parts each day for their service calls as they come in.  I'm just wondering how other companies balance it? I know the boys are busy in the field but do they order their own parts or does the office? I'm curious to hear your answers please! Thanks! 🙂 

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Zakw
Contributor

I check in with the techs after every job (or in the case of multiple day jobs, at least twice daily). If parts are needed I create a task in service titan for our Warehouse manager who then creates a purchase order for approval. I admit I am still getting used to the task feature as in my old age I am used to pen and paper, but it is a great tool to prevent things from flying under the radar!

View solution in original post

RandiThompson
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

From a bigger company perspective (using inventory) we have our techs call into their dispatcher letting them know they are incomplete as well as doing a sold estimate. Our dispatcher books the estimate into a "parts needed" call and emails the job invoice to our Service Manager with "I need" in the subject line. The service manager then creates a PO on the the job and we have an alert set to notify the dispatcher when the PO is received so she can call to schedule. Also when you have inventory set, if you set your trucks up as warehouses you can assign a min/max count for any items you want them to stock, when they get below that level it will show up in the replenishments section and depending on your workflow you can create a replenishment PO or complete the transfer from stock. 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RandiThompson

From a bigger company perspective (using inventory) we have our techs call into their dispatcher letting them know they are incomplete as well as doing a sold estimate. Our dispatcher books the estimate into a "parts needed" call and emails the job invoice to our Service Manager with "I need" in the subject line. The service manager then creates a PO on the the job and we have an alert set to notify the dispatcher when the PO is received so she can call to schedule. Also when you have inventory set, if you set your trucks up as warehouses you can assign a min/max count for any items you want them to stock, when they get below that level it will show up in the replenishments section and depending on your workflow you can create a replenishment PO or complete the transfer from stock. 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

Thank you for sharing your workflow. It's nice to hear things from a bigger company perspective as well so I can compare. I appreciate you sharing. 🙂 

Khiana Klatt

Zakw
Contributor

I check in with the techs after every job (or in the case of multiple day jobs, at least twice daily). If parts are needed I create a task in service titan for our Warehouse manager who then creates a purchase order for approval. I admit I am still getting used to the task feature as in my old age I am used to pen and paper, but it is a great tool to prevent things from flying under the radar!

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for sharing your workflow! I appreciate hearing how other companies do this.

Khiana Klatt

Miranda

At this point, we order parts from the office side. My boss and I are the only ones in the office right now. We are in the processes of setting up our inventory and trying to add more people to the team, including office and warehouse staff, so that will probably change our workflow somewhat, but not sure how exactly yet. 🙂

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for your response! Currently it is myself and my boss, the office manager, in the officer as well. We too are working on setting up our inventory. I'm curious how your workflow will change as you grow. Keep me posted! How do you order the parts? Do the techs call, text, email in their part requests? What has been working best for you?

Khiana Klatt

Miranda

I will let you know! My boss has been the only service tech for the most part. We have two other field guys, but they mainly focus on install. So to answer your question, my boss orders the parts or else calls/texts and tells me what to order or to create a purchase order for him to use. I will update you as we go forward. We have 3 new employees (1 for sales, 1 for the field, 1 for warehouse/field) joining our team in February so that is a big deal for us! We are excited!

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

That makes sense! We currently have 2 office staff and 3 techs. Congrats on finding new employees and growing the company! 🙂 Excited to hear updates from you.

Khiana Klatt

Miranda

Sounds like we are very similar in size then! Thanks! 😃