wpowers11
Valued Contributor

Holiday Laugh.jpg

The Best Gifts for Any Technician

Are you looking for that last minute best gift to buy for the tech in your life?  Check out this holiday gift guide for my 12 gift ideas for anyone working as a technician.  This gift guide can be used for inspiration this holiday season for any workers in the construction industry, home services industry or commercial trades.

Purchase any of the gifts listed here and be sure to make your technician’s Christmas one to remember!

1.Quality Knife

Every tradesperson needs a quality blade.  From opening boxes to stripping wire sheathing in a pinch, all techs need to have a quality knife in their pocket.  If your tech is a knife enthusiast, there are many quality knives out there.  Some techs favorites are those from Zero Tolerance,  Benchmade, and Sog.  Many of the knives from those manufacturers are quality items made in the USA.  My go-to everyday carry has been the Zero Tolerance Hinderer with a titanium handle.  Your tech is sure to love this knife for many years to come. 

If you are looking for something a little more on a budget check out the offerings from CIVIVI.  They have been making some great knives and are extremely popular among the knife community.  Your tech will love this gift and will not be afraid to put it through tough use with the cheaper price point. 

1. Heated Garments

One of the pros of working as a tech is that you work outside at times.  One of the cons of working in the industry as a tech is that you are often working outside…. in the elements.  Technology has come a long way and you can now get your tech or tradesperson a set of heated garments for when they are out working in the cold.  There are many offerings such as heated gloves, heated socks or my personal favorite, a heated jacket.   If you know which battery eco system your technician is invested in, I recommend you pick up garments that work with those batteries to avoid having to purchase a separate set.  My personal favorite is the Milwuakee heated jacket, but there are many offerings from other manufactures such as Dewalt and Bosch.

1. Tool Bag

Most technicians spend a lot of good money on quality tools to ensure that they have the right tool for the job, but often forget to buy a quality tool bag to go along with it.  My favorite tool bags are those from Veto. If you are looking for tools to stock them with, check out my Tp5b load-out and Tech MC load-out articles. 

1. Carhartt Heavy Duty Flannel

Everyone loves a comfortable flannel.  If your technician needs some new shirts check out the work rated flannels from Carhartt. These are extremely durable and comfortable.  They also look great!  Keep in mind that these shirts tend to run a little on the bigger side, so it might be a good idea to size one size down from the normal size.

1. Insulated Lunch Box

Home service technicians are constantly on the run from emergency to emergency so having somewhere to keep a solid meal cold and ready to go is vital to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  Check out offerings from RTIC and Yei.

1. Spare Power Tool Batteries

You can never have too many batteries ready to go for your power tools.  Nothing worse than finding all your batteries are dead and having to do the job by hand or waiting for enough juice to charge.  Word of wisdom don’t try and skimp with the knockoffs.  They rarely have the same rating as their genuine counterpart and have been known to die prematurely or cause issues charging.

1. Wireless Earbuds

Having a great set of earbuds can make all the difference in making the day go by quickly.  If your technician is often working alone on a roof, attic, or crawlspace having the ability to crank some tunes or listen to a favorite podcast is a great morale booster. Check out the Skull candy earbuds for a great budget set, or if you want to splurge a little bit you can’t go wrong with Beats.

1. Work Boots

People working in the industry do not replace their work boots as often as they should.  If you know what boots your technician wears, look and see if they are falling apart and look like they need replacement.  Check the soles and ensure they are evenly worn.  If they are worn on the edges causing uneven spots, they should be replaced to avoid foot and back pain.  If they have been complaining about their current boots and are looking for a suitable replacement, check out one of my personal favorites, the timberland wedge sold.  Super comfortable with the cushioned sole, and the leather is already extremely soft and broken in.  Some quality boot oil is a great stocking stuffer for anyone working in the building trades.

1.   Phone Mount and Wireless Charger

An excellent gift for your tech is one that helps keep them safe on the road by keeping the phone hands-free.  Responding from call to call, technicians often rely on the GPS in their smartphone to take them to the next job.  Having the ability to mount the phone in an easy-to-see location and remaining hands-free while charging the phone wirelessly in a single package will make a great gift for your HVAC technician.

1. Wasp Spray

This might be more of a gag gift for your HVAC tech, but it is also a necessity.  Every HVAC technician I have ever met hates running into wasps and hornets inside a unit you are trying to repair.  Make sure your technician is armed with the tools to level the playing field and avoid getting stung. 

1. Wera Tool Check Plus

This is one of my favorite tools I have in my tool kit and should be on every tech gift wish list.  The Wera Tool Check plus is an extremely versatile compact tool kit that can fit into almost any tool pouch and will provide the tech with loads of capabilities without all the weight and size. This small tool set is German quality and is offered in both Metric and Imperial sizing.  For techs in the US, I’d recommend sticking with the imperial sizing. 

1.   Insulated Water Bottle

Hydration is very important while working in the sweltering heat.  I often joke with people that one of the worst parts of working in the trades industry is that you are never working in an air-conditioned space.  A large, insulated water bottle is a game changer for a busy tech that doesn’t have time to fill up.  RTIC has 1 gallon of capacity, keeps ice all day long, and is exceptionally durable for people that are working in the construction trades.  It also makes for a great place to store all the job site stickers!

Hopefully, you can find something from this holiday gift guide list for your techs and you are able to make your technicians’ day special! Remember that the simple things build a great culture, and we retain our best by treating them the best.

May you all have a safe and great holiday season.

1 Comment
tsjobeck
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Great list, Here are some of the gifts we did, don't forget small stocking stuffers too😎

1. Head Lamps 2. Tablet Pens 3. Tool Gift Cards 4. AIQ products for their homes 5. Start 2 hrs Late Coupon (must be scheduled) 6. Get off 2 hrs early coupon (must be scheduled)  7. Company hoodies 8. Dinner & Spa gift cards for wives 9. Coffee Cards 10. Magnetizer/ Demagnetizers for screw drivers.