Staff room

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Hey everyone!

Currently, our office space is very rarely seen by customers and is only seen by staff. We have a few desks set up for office work; a table with hard plastic chairs for staff meetings, training, lunch breaks; a small kitchen area with a fridge, toaster oven, Keurig, microwave and panini press.

Our debate is whether or not we should have a comfortable seating area for staff. Should we bring in some couches or comfortable chairs to use for breaks? Our office manager says that later as the company grows and we set up the space as a show room, the couches will come in conveniently for this! However, our owner is worried about employees slacking and relaxing on the couches too often. I feel like the couches can help create a homey atmosphere and if we can actually step away from our desks (change of scenery) and feel rested after our lunch breaks we may be more productive in the afternoon. We currently have a really good team and I don't think with our current employees it will be a problem however, I can see his view that it could be a potential problem depending on who we hire.

Thoughts? Do other companies have a comfortable break room? I know often the techs are on the road however, there are days where if they are in the area they will stop in and have their breaks here at the office. Our office staff also have their breaks here daily. 

I can't wait to hear others views! Thanks in advance. 🙂

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

BayleeR
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Love this. That style of break room sounds really neat!! I am decently high motivation and I know after lunch that seems to decrease most days. I think that would be a fantastic touch to get people up and out of the "same ole space" and give them something different to look at/ sit on. Though like you said its really all about discipline and as long as you know your team will respect it then that is fabulous!!  

View solution in original post

Miranda

Our break room is a multi purpose room! We use it for interviews, team meetings, and for training as well as every day for a break room. It has a fridge/freezer, microwave, pizza oven, popcorn maker, and coffee maker. We also try to keep it well stocked with snacks and drinks for the crew! The table (several tables put together to make one table usually) is always available for the guys to sit at to train on their tablets, or for people to eat at, or for anyone to use as a workspace if needed. We have a TV out there that we use for team trainings or for entertainment on breaks.

We have talked about putting a couch or futon in there, but haven't done it. I can see the concern for people abusing it, but you have that with nearly any perk it seems like. 

I agree that it is important to get refreshed over lunch break. It makes the afternoon much more productive!

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

Sheena_Palacios
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

creating a comfortable environment for employees to take breaks and de-stress themselves will drive your culture! I used to experience migraines while on shift and just having a place to rest for 20 mins. saved my employer from having to send me home and have someone else cover my shift. Create a health and wellness environment and switch it up as needed!

Sheena @ NiFT

3 REPLIES 3

Sheena_Palacios

creating a comfortable environment for employees to take breaks and de-stress themselves will drive your culture! I used to experience migraines while on shift and just having a place to rest for 20 mins. saved my employer from having to send me home and have someone else cover my shift. Create a health and wellness environment and switch it up as needed!

Sheena @ NiFT

Miranda

Our break room is a multi purpose room! We use it for interviews, team meetings, and for training as well as every day for a break room. It has a fridge/freezer, microwave, pizza oven, popcorn maker, and coffee maker. We also try to keep it well stocked with snacks and drinks for the crew! The table (several tables put together to make one table usually) is always available for the guys to sit at to train on their tablets, or for people to eat at, or for anyone to use as a workspace if needed. We have a TV out there that we use for team trainings or for entertainment on breaks.

We have talked about putting a couch or futon in there, but haven't done it. I can see the concern for people abusing it, but you have that with nearly any perk it seems like. 

I agree that it is important to get refreshed over lunch break. It makes the afternoon much more productive!

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

BayleeR

Love this. That style of break room sounds really neat!! I am decently high motivation and I know after lunch that seems to decrease most days. I think that would be a fantastic touch to get people up and out of the "same ole space" and give them something different to look at/ sit on. Though like you said its really all about discipline and as long as you know your team will respect it then that is fabulous!!