Permits

JustineWelton
New Contributor II

I figured I'd ask here because I am guessing this group would do a similar process.

How do you track permits, more specifically permit numbers.

For Septic permits that are required annually by our counties, we have to send a report to the county and pay the fee. we help our customers by managing this. We figured out a way of invoicing the customer through memberships for this. But we are having a hard time figuring out where to document the permit numbers for each system (permit numbers change if the property owner switches, as well as from a startup number to a permanent/fixed number).

We currently track it with our accounting software and have to check it EVERY year before sending the county the fees and reports.

Does anyone else have a process they use through service titan? or does any process similar to this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AHennager
Contributor II

@JustineWelton Hi Justine! Thanks for your permits inquiry 🙂

Luckily, there's an assortment of methods to track permit numbers in ServiceTitan.

1. You could utilize custom fields. Available custom field areas in context with permits might include: Location Record, Job Record, Project Record, Equipment Record

2. Task Management could also be an option for tracking permits, including permit numbers. Tasks will then show up in their own section on the Customer page relating to the customer. 

3. Some users simply add the permit # as a note and pin the note for visibility. You can do this on a Job, Project, Service Location, and Customer page.

4. Some accounts work with the Project page in ServiceTitan more than others. If you do often work with Projects, some add the permit # into the Project Description for visibility. Additionally, Project Labels could be useful for helping track the permit process.

5. Similarly, you could also use tags to help track the permitting process as well, if needed. Tags could include: Permit Required, Permit Application Submitted, Permit Received

Personally, I like the idea of employing a mixture of options #1 & #2. Custom fields are reportable (except for equipment custom fields, currently) and Task Management is great way to stay on top of pending tasks, including permit processes.

I've seen all options employed before, so hopefully one or more options will be operationally useful for you as well 🙂

Also: Check out the Contractor's Playbook on Pulling Permits for other helpful tips!

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best,
Adam

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AHennager
Contributor II

@JustineWelton Hi Justine! Thanks for your permits inquiry 🙂

Luckily, there's an assortment of methods to track permit numbers in ServiceTitan.

1. You could utilize custom fields. Available custom field areas in context with permits might include: Location Record, Job Record, Project Record, Equipment Record

2. Task Management could also be an option for tracking permits, including permit numbers. Tasks will then show up in their own section on the Customer page relating to the customer. 

3. Some users simply add the permit # as a note and pin the note for visibility. You can do this on a Job, Project, Service Location, and Customer page.

4. Some accounts work with the Project page in ServiceTitan more than others. If you do often work with Projects, some add the permit # into the Project Description for visibility. Additionally, Project Labels could be useful for helping track the permit process.

5. Similarly, you could also use tags to help track the permitting process as well, if needed. Tags could include: Permit Required, Permit Application Submitted, Permit Received

Personally, I like the idea of employing a mixture of options #1 & #2. Custom fields are reportable (except for equipment custom fields, currently) and Task Management is great way to stay on top of pending tasks, including permit processes.

I've seen all options employed before, so hopefully one or more options will be operationally useful for you as well 🙂

Also: Check out the Contractor's Playbook on Pulling Permits for other helpful tips!

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best,
Adam

JessicaSmith
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

This is a great answer!

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

Thank you! I thought we needed to talk to the CSM team to set up custom fields. I feel this is the best solution for our team as Septic Permit numbers only have 2 occurrences when they change in our area and most counties we deal with.

Again I appreciate the detail. I know this will be helpful to not only myself but other Service Titan users.