Serialized Returns

Kevin_JPS
New Contributor II

Hey team,

My company is running into an issue with serialized equipment that I'm not sure how to solve, and I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with this.

The problem is happening when returning serialized equipment from the customer, either because they no longer want the equipment or a warranty claim. For returns, we have no process that places the inventory back into our warehouse, with the existing serial number. We also currently don't have a ST process that communicates that we are pulling one unit back, and sending a replacement unit of the same type, essentially swapping the serial numbers. 

Is this a set up feature that I've overlooked, or is there an easy work around that doesn't involve making several adjustments?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

michael21
Contributor III

Hi @Kevin_JPS.  I agree that this is a problem and have posted an suggestion in the ideas section of the community, COMMUNITY-I-570.  As I see it, the basic problem is that you want a job that will remove the defective item and add back its replacement.  This capability, to my knowledge, doesn't exist.  What we do is delete the equipment item from the original job, thus adding it back to the warehouse location referenced on the item.  This isn't a problem if the job hasn't been exported, but if it has, it may mess up the synch between ST and Quickbooks.  In any event, we then create a warranty return to return the defective unit to the manufacturer/distributor.  Finally, we will create a new job in the same project to add the warranty replacement.  We do it as a new job so techs can charge time to it.  Anyway, take a look at the idea referenced above and, if you like, vote for it.  If you can enhance the idea with your own suggestions, by all means add them.

Mike M CPA & Operations in KC, (go Chiefs)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmberC
Contributor II

@michael21 Voted!

michael21
Contributor III

Hi @Kevin_JPS.  I agree that this is a problem and have posted an suggestion in the ideas section of the community, COMMUNITY-I-570.  As I see it, the basic problem is that you want a job that will remove the defective item and add back its replacement.  This capability, to my knowledge, doesn't exist.  What we do is delete the equipment item from the original job, thus adding it back to the warehouse location referenced on the item.  This isn't a problem if the job hasn't been exported, but if it has, it may mess up the synch between ST and Quickbooks.  In any event, we then create a warranty return to return the defective unit to the manufacturer/distributor.  Finally, we will create a new job in the same project to add the warranty replacement.  We do it as a new job so techs can charge time to it.  Anyway, take a look at the idea referenced above and, if you like, vote for it.  If you can enhance the idea with your own suggestions, by all means add them.

Mike M CPA & Operations in KC, (go Chiefs)

Kevin_JPS
New Contributor II

Ok, that's pretty much what I thought was going to need to happen, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the idea. 

rstare
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Do you use Requisitions or did you order the item on a Job PO?