Is there a way to get a clear explanation of what the difference is between "invoice" and "project"?

mdalton
New Contributor

7 REPLIES 7

mdalton
New Contributor

I appreciate your help. Thank you so much!

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

That is because there is already 1 invoice involved. Now when you set the job up, it is setting up another work order/invoice and it is attaching the 2, thus making it a "project" now. You do not have to send out the project invoice, you can just send out the 1 invoice that it created for the work, and that is the number that will show on the statement screen, it just hooks them together for the work for that job. We do not charge for our estimates, so when ours get hooked together, the only invoice that actually has money on it, is the one that we performed work on.

mdalton
New Contributor

We are finding that when we create a job for any estimate created, from a job, it automatically attaches a project number and invoice number. If we forget to "detach" a project, when creating the job, we do not have the ability to detach the project once the tech completes the job. It is very strange.

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

You don't have to create a project. You just have to either not complete your work order so you can still add to it every day, use the "done for now" option, or you will just have multiple invoices/work orders.

mdalton
New Contributor

I wish there was a way to not create a project or at least give us the option.

mdalton
New Contributor

Thank you so much!

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

The way I understand it, an "invoice" is a 1 day job. Done, finished, billed. A "project", is several days, maybe 2-3 or more invoices completed and and billed and grouped on 1 project that the customer would then pay for at the end. We set ours up like this, our estimator goes out and gives them a quote. If they decide to go with it, we then set up the "project", and put the estimate invoice on it, along with all of the work invoices. Then when the job is complete, the customer gets the final invoice showing all of them combined on the 1 "project" invoice. Instead of getting an invoice everyday or even 2 or 3 separate invoices for 1 job, makes it less likely for the customer to "lose" an invoice.