How to recognize revenue only once when service was done on prev booked job?

sheila_a
New Contributor III

We are having a heck of a time with recognized revenue with ongoing memberships.  Example:  Tech completes a startup job, then customer decides upon receiving bill that they want membership.  The s/u is to be part of the membership.  I know I can dismiss the event from the membership, and recognize the revenue, therefore decreasing the liability.  I then do an adjustment invoice for the initial job.  However, our tech isn't getting credit for the proper sale amount. Any suggestions on how to accomplish all of the above - tech credit, revenue recognition, and correct liability amount deducted from membership? 

3 REPLIES 3

scamcrob
New Contributor III

HI, using estimates should conquer this for you. Here's a brief synopsis of how it works:

• Tech creates and sends estimate for the membership to customer.
  • When the estimate is sold and the estimate items are applied to an invoice the credit will be given to the technician under the Sold By box. 
  • If the estimate is officially sold by the office, then the call taker can select the technician from the opportunity screen to give credit to them.
  • Once invoiced, the membership will be activated so you'll then be able to dismiss the recurring service. 

Hope this helps.

sheila_a
New Contributor III

That is not the issue.  The issue I am having is that the tech is receiving credit for the startup at full price.  Once we create the membership (in this scenario), we have to dismiss the s/u, just as you have suggested.  The problem is the tech does not receive credit for that dismissed event.  I have no way of putting a tech on that dismissed event invoice.  In this scenario, I am doing an adjustment invoice to zero out the initial s/u invoice.  Perhaps it isn't too big of an issue as long as the tech doesn't get deducted when an adjustment is entered.  Is that the case - is the technician deducted when an adjustment invoice is entered?

scamcrob
New Contributor III

HI, I may need more information to correctly answer. But what I meant was to dismiss the new start up that populates on the new membership. Keep the original Start up job the way it is because anytime you zero out an invoice, it will affect the technician's KPI related to that job unless you are using a job type or pricebook task that excludes it from the technician's performance reports. 
In addition to dismissing the new start up service on the membership, you could also deduct the cost the customer paid for original start up from the cost of the membership so the credit for the completed job stays with the technician.