How do I merge duplicate materials in the pricebook?

erinpbradley
Contributor

I added a material to the pricebook and later realized it was already in the pricebook under a different item number. I would like to merge these two items.

I could simply deactivate one, but that would not merge the quantity on hand / inventory asset info in quickbooks desktop inventory. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AdamCronenberg
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

This is always a fun situation when inventory comes into play.  I would wait till late in the evening or in a weekend when not a lot of activity is occurring.  I would pull the inventory stock report for both items and for all locations.  I would then combine the 2 items quantity into a single adjustment to represent the new combined value.  You will also need to then decrease the value of the duplicate item.  This then should make the quantity on hand 0 and then will allow you to deactivate the duplicate item.  For example, if Item A and Item B are the same part and I have 5 of Item A and 3 of Item B, you would do an adjustment to make the new Quantity of Item A = 8 (increase of 3) and make the new quantity of item B = 0 (decrease of 3).  This will keep your overall counts accurate and will send the information if exporting to the accounting software.  Hopefully the duplicate items have the same costing value, but that is a different story.  You will also have to make sure you dont have any open POs with Item B or change those over to item A.  Then get rid of item B and make everyone download their pricebook so they dont still have that item as active.  Lot of work for sure so hopefully not something you have to go through too often.  Sadly, I have some experience in this.  Hope that helps.  

Element Mist

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

erinpbradley
Contributor

Thanks so much for the explanation! We actually don't have the full inventory module for ServiceTitan. We're still managing quantity on hand / asset value within Quickbooks inventory. 

But your response helped me think through it! I will deactivate one item in the ServiceTitan pricebook. Then, I will create an inventory adjustment in quickbooks like you outlined to correct the quantity.

AdamCronenberg

This is always a fun situation when inventory comes into play.  I would wait till late in the evening or in a weekend when not a lot of activity is occurring.  I would pull the inventory stock report for both items and for all locations.  I would then combine the 2 items quantity into a single adjustment to represent the new combined value.  You will also need to then decrease the value of the duplicate item.  This then should make the quantity on hand 0 and then will allow you to deactivate the duplicate item.  For example, if Item A and Item B are the same part and I have 5 of Item A and 3 of Item B, you would do an adjustment to make the new Quantity of Item A = 8 (increase of 3) and make the new quantity of item B = 0 (decrease of 3).  This will keep your overall counts accurate and will send the information if exporting to the accounting software.  Hopefully the duplicate items have the same costing value, but that is a different story.  You will also have to make sure you dont have any open POs with Item B or change those over to item A.  Then get rid of item B and make everyone download their pricebook so they dont still have that item as active.  Lot of work for sure so hopefully not something you have to go through too often.  Sadly, I have some experience in this.  Hope that helps.  

Element Mist

JessicaSmith

You beat me to it! Congrats 🤣

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions