Inventory Start up

Travers
New Contributor II

I am just starting on implementing inventory in our company. Are there any tips or tricks that you wish you knew when first starting to set everything up?

9 REPLIES 9

jyoung53D1
New Contributor III

If you are just getting started on inventory, it may be beneficial to go through all the academy training on it.  Figure out from a $$ amount what you want to track in the trucks vs warehouse.  consumable fittings, don't waste your time and consume them to the truck.  There is a new Mobile Inventory App availible.  It won't allow you to create the PO/Adjustment/transfer, but it does allow you to show and complete it while in the warehouse.

Make sure you do a physical count on a Saturday, turn on tracking for Sunday so you have time to count the inventory.  Get the excel templates out for adjustments so all you have to do is update Pricebook (import updates to the inventory flag), then add adjustments (beginning balance), run the Aggregate Inventory Stock report so you can always resort back to the original amounts.  Begin Tracking.  Good Luck

MirandaMel
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

You are welcome!  It is under settings -> inventory->configuration.  Then there are two tabs...inventory and purchasing.  There are also some great tutorials and videos in the knowledge center and academy.  Hope this will help out!  Feel free to reach out to me anytime.

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE
Acclaimed! Heating Cooling and Furnace Cleaning

MirandaMel

Ah, okay...have you set all your inventory configurations up with a start date to know when to start tracking?  All that set up needs to happen first and then import your starting values.  Then everything will need that box checked (or already have it checked) to activate tracking.  

Are you also receiving your PO's?  There is an option you can click in configuration that will apply the parts to the job as a $0 cost to prevent double job costing but will still remove the item from the inventory location you received it to.  If the item is not used, you can remove the line item and it will go back into the location you received it in...or do a negative line item for that material and change the warehouse.  

Full inventory can be a bit of an overwhelming beast in the beginning!

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE

Miranda thanks for answering all my questions, I just have to ask one more?  Where do we set up all the inventory configurations with a start date? Is this done somewhere in the price book?

MirandaMel

Your inventory will come from materials and equipment items you have set up in the pricebook.  Once you have your inventory live then you have access to different areas where you can set up min/max replenishment lists, adjustments, etc...  Hope that answers the question?

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE

thank you Miranda, so I see inventory tab in the price book while adding material, once I click on the box start tracking the item it'll add it to my inventory under items. We are creating po on jobs for these parts we add to the price book., if not used on a job do we need to keep it under materials and not charged materials?  And if so does it then keep it in the ordering warehouse?  I am also having issues doing adjustments.  It won't allow me to add items

Neilsamm14
New Contributor

I am in the same boat as you and would like to know

MirandaMel

Start slowly and meticulously!  It can be a very overwhelming project but if you have all your data input in the pricebook then you will have much better success.  It took me about 6 months of inputting everything, then we counted and then input our starting numbers.  Decide what you want to use as consumable items (screws/sealant, etc) and decide if you want to create them and auto consume them on truck transfer or if you want to deal with them outside of the pricebook and not track them. 

I also suggest making sure you have a dedicated person to manage the PO's, receiving, adjustments, etc... before you get going and that person has a very firm grasp of the affect of inventory on accounting.  Good luck!

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE

the inventory comes from the price book inventory tab correct?