Warranty Workflow Questions

ccmx106
New Contributor

Wondering if I can get some help walking through warranty tracking and invoicing. Given the hypothetical situation below, how would this be handled?

The technician goes out on a troubleshoot job and finds a control board that needs to be replaced. The unit is still covered by the manufacturer's parts warranty but the labor coverage has expired. The technician makes a recommendation to replace the control board. The repair estimator in the office builds an estimate for the labor portion of replacing the control board. How do I keep track of the control board for this job while ensuring that it is not billed to the customer? Am I creating two separate jobs, one for the labor and one for the warranty parts with the bill-to changed to the manufacturer? In previous systems I have used, invoice line items would be designated as warranty or multiple invoices could be created on the same job to bill out the warranty items separately.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jeremy_Wick
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

Hey @ccmx106, You can set-up a return Type that is "Warranty", Create a return and add the Job to the return.  Have the original Control Board listed on the invoice - not as a chargeable material, This will show a cost and the return will offset that cost.  On the Purchasing/Inventory page you can go to your returns section - Under "returned" you can filter by Return Type, this way you can still track the Warranty Item.  Once the Vendor Issues you a Credit Memo for the Warranty Item you move the CM to "Credit Received" and Export it to Accounting.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jeremy_Wick

Hey @ccmx106, You can set-up a return Type that is "Warranty", Create a return and add the Job to the return.  Have the original Control Board listed on the invoice - not as a chargeable material, This will show a cost and the return will offset that cost.  On the Purchasing/Inventory page you can go to your returns section - Under "returned" you can filter by Return Type, this way you can still track the Warranty Item.  Once the Vendor Issues you a Credit Memo for the Warranty Item you move the CM to "Credit Received" and Export it to Accounting.