How to fix QuickBooks payroll not working issue after most recent update?

Tyson23
New Contributor

After installing the most recent QuickBooks update, my payroll feature stopped working entirely. Whenever I try to run payroll, I receive an error message saying the service is unavailable or cannot connect. I’ve restarted QuickBooks and my computer multiple times, but the problem persists. This is severely affecting my ability to process payroll on time, and I’m concerned about missing critical deadlines. I need urgent assistance in resolving this issue. Has anyone else encountered this problem after the latest update? Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Veronica321
New Contributor

Hey @Tyson23 

If QuickBooks payroll stopped working after the latest update, follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Restart QuickBooks and Your Computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve issues after an update.

2. Check for Additional Updates: Ensure all updates have been installed properly. Go to Help > Update QuickBooks Desktop and check for any pending updates.

3. Verify Payroll Subscription Status: Confirm that your payroll subscription is active. Go to Employees > My Payroll Service > Account/Billing Information.

4. Clear Cache and Temporary Files: Corrupted cache files can cause issues. Clear them by going to File > Utilities > Rebuild Data.

5. Run QuickBooks as Administrator: Right-click the QuickBooks icon and select Run as Administrator to give the necessary permissions.

6. Check Firewall/Antivirus Settings: Ensure your firewall or antivirus isn’t blocking QuickBooks. Add QuickBooks as an exception if needed.

After following these steps, your payroll should start working correctly again.

Help support.png