CPU & Ram Usage Slow Computers?

aambre
New Contributor II

Over the past few months I've heard complaints throughout the office about our slow internet.  Accepting this a problem we upgraded to fiber and currently receiving 1000Mbps on all of our computers.  All computers run the same 8gig RAM and the same CPU processors.  (with the exception of a few who use Macs or their own laptops).  

We have about 200 techs on the board 70 teams and about 30 office staff.  This performance seems to have gotten worse with the most recent update.  

Even after all the upgrades the groans throughout the office persist.  Specifically with dispatchers accounting and occasionally our CSRs.  I dug in deeper and ran a process reports on several machines through Chrome, Firefox & Edge (service titan does not support).  The dispatch board will use over 2gigs of Ram during peak call times, the call screen & job & project pages can consume another gig.  I ran this test before techs start to dispatch and before inbound calls.  I ran the same test at 12 and again at 4. I confirmed the same CPU & Ram usage on all 3 browsers and 5 machines.

The issue is specifically isolated to Service Titan pages and effects the entire computer processing making it appear as though the computer is the issue. If you happen to open 2 dispatch boards or a dispatch board and call screen, Slack or Teams,  Outlook and then need to open another program, the computer will come to  crawl. If you use other cloud-based software like office 365, CPU & ram usage caps and can completely freeze a machine.

Has any one else had similar performance issues thinking it was their computers or their internet? Has anyone else isolated this issue and have a back end solution? 

Is this something Service Titan is aware of or working on?  Or is there an undisclosed need for minimum system requirements? 

Am I the only one who thinks this is excessive memory usage for a CRM? 

3 REPLIES 3

wch_alex
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Wow, great testing. We here only buy PC's that have 16 gigs of ram along with a 6 core processor as that is quite ideal for Service Titan currently. As ST develops and as Windows 11 updates, more and more of our ram is eaten up by these things and old computers become increasingly outdated. Moving forward you should only purchase PC's with the specs above as it should future proof you for 4 years at least (I really really hope so, technology is moving quick). I currently haven't experienced any issues here but we don't have 200 techs or 70 teams either. It honestly could also be a graphics issue but I don't believe that could be an issue either as ST does a pretty good job at unloading the graphics/js when you scroll (which would increase CPU usage and would cause graphical performance hit). Maybe if there was a way to increase performance by cache-ing all the dispatch board to your GPU's VRAM could help (it would have to be a setting)? I am not sure if that could be a future resolution though just a thought.

Yeah when you scroll up and down the dispatch board it does use quite a bit of graphics and CPU resources.

aambre
New Contributor II

I had not actually tried scrolling the dispatch board while running my test.  I noticed the spike by just opening the board and keeping it running in the back ground.  I also removed additional modifiers (zip codes, tags, etc.) from the board appearance and turned off all notifications.  This had a small impact of 20-100Mbs.  Again while sitting idle. 

I have to agree with you that better performance computers are the solution.  Or upgrading the Ram on all current machines. We are using quadcore intel processors which seem to do fine but I'm sure are going to get fried pretty quickly working all the background data.  

wch_alex

In terms of CPU & GPU it should only really have an effect on those when you scroll. So if you scroll and it seems to lag it could be the CPU or GPU (as for mini PC's they don't really get great GPU's). Yeah upgrading the ram could help if you are truly maxed at 7.99 gigs the whole time but I know that windows 10 and windows 11 will both cache stuff (applications and data) to ram to make windows faster and it will free up some of that memory if you are trying to use it in chrome, in saying that it can mean that your chrome is using like 6 gigs of ram but make sure you are looking at the individual application in task manager to get down to the issue.

Buying new PC's should fix it all but this is still an issue, as quad core 8 gigs of ram should be enough, but the normal dispatcher would probably use at least 2-3 tabs . I myself use at least 10 tabs and I only have 8 gigs of ram which does me just fine but I do have a newer PC with 6 cores.