How to File Form 940 in QuickBooks: A Complete Tutorial

docaf47384
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I need help with filing Form 940 in QuickBooks. I’m unsure about the steps to generate and submit this form for my payroll taxes. Could someone walk me through the process or point me to a detailed guide? Also, any tips on common issues to watch out for would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adamsandler67
New Contributor II

QuickBooks Help.png

To file Form 940 in QuickBooks Desktop, follow these steps:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop and go to the Employees menu.

2. Select Payroll Center and then go to the File Forms tab.

3. Select Form 940 from the list of available forms. This form is used to report annual Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) taxes.

4. Verify Payroll Information: QuickBooks will display a summary of your payroll information for the year. Review and verify the details to ensure accuracy.

5. Prepare Form 940: Click Create Form. QuickBooks will generate Form 940 based on the payroll data.

6. Review and Edit: Check the form for accuracy. Make any necessary edits before filing.

7. E-File or Print: Choose to either e-file the form directly through QuickBooks or print it for manual submission. If e-filing, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

8. Submit: For e-filing, submit through QuickBooks. If printing, mail the completed form to the IRS.

Always back up your QuickBooks data before filing forms, and ensure your payroll settings are up-to-date to avoid errors.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

adamsandler67
New Contributor II

QuickBooks Help.png

To file Form 940 in QuickBooks Desktop, follow these steps:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop and go to the Employees menu.

2. Select Payroll Center and then go to the File Forms tab.

3. Select Form 940 from the list of available forms. This form is used to report annual Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) taxes.

4. Verify Payroll Information: QuickBooks will display a summary of your payroll information for the year. Review and verify the details to ensure accuracy.

5. Prepare Form 940: Click Create Form. QuickBooks will generate Form 940 based on the payroll data.

6. Review and Edit: Check the form for accuracy. Make any necessary edits before filing.

7. E-File or Print: Choose to either e-file the form directly through QuickBooks or print it for manual submission. If e-filing, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

8. Submit: For e-filing, submit through QuickBooks. If printing, mail the completed form to the IRS.

Always back up your QuickBooks data before filing forms, and ensure your payroll settings are up-to-date to avoid errors.