Bulk Serialization Without Inventory

Adam_HSSOE
New Contributor III

Currently in order to mark items as "Serialized" in bulk there is a 2 step process.  The second (required) step is to assign serial numbers to the items.  

This doesn't seem to make sense, as most companies will have items that require a serial number but are not in stock.  It would seem to make more sense to be able to split these two processes so that you can indicate which items in your pricebook are serialized and separately add serial numbers to items in stock/when received.

Has anyone found a work around besides manually serializing each pricebook item? 

4 REPLIES 4

wch_alex
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

I think manually serializing each item is important because if you make a mistake it could cause issues later on. While I think that doing each item individually would be best for mostly everyone, to eliminate the need for contacting support because so and so has an issue. 

I do agree that serializing multiple items would be much easier but who knows maybe they will add something that makes this process much quicker when the app comes out. 

P.S. I have linked the app below
Inventory App

Adam_HSSOE
New Contributor III

There is a bulk way to mark items as serialized as well as apply serial numbers to those items.  My problem is that these two forms are linked.  If you bulk mark items in the pricebook as serialized then you are required to add serial numbers for that item in order for the system to save the new setting.  I want to mark items as requiring a serial number so that if/when we actually receive them it will already be set up.

For instance, my pricebook contains over 700 different items that require serial number tracking.  Of those items we only have 1-2 dozen in stock at any time (constantly changing).  The only two solutions I have gotten so far are:

1) Wait to activate serialization on a product until it is being received.  This solution would require me to train and give permissions to staff members to perform a task that I don't want them to have to perform.  

2) Manually mark each item for serialization.  The problem here is just the size of the task which is exacerbated by being unable to sort by whether an item is serialized or not in the list.

It seems to me that these two processes of bulk marking items for serialization and adding serial numbers should be seperate.

wch_alex

Hi Adam, I don't think there is a good solution here. I think something clever would need to be done here in order to solve this more easily. In my mind you would have to go with option 1, which I don't really like either but it seems like it may be the best solution (divide and conquer). 

Adam_HSSOE
New Contributor III

I think the solution would be for ServiceTitan to implement a bulk serialization option that does not require one to currently have inventory.  It is illogical to combine the two processes.  I can't imagine a use case where the current implementation would be useful.