What are other contractors tracking in inventory

Monica_Parkys
New Contributor II

Hello, we are starting the process of setting up inventory and curious to what extent are other contractors tracking. Is common practice to include everything from pex rings to equipment or is there a $ value of an item that is used to determine if it's worth tracking. I have pros and cons for both and want to hear from other contractor before I make final decision. Thanks for any feedback.

7 REPLIES 7

MirandaMel
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Items that typically aren't tracked are ones with a very low dollar value (ex: single screws) or items that are not easily measured (or more accurately, not worth the added time to measure...) such as tin tape, some tubing, etc...  Those type of items could be considered as shop supplies and treated as such from an accounting perspective.

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE
Acclaimed! Heating Cooling and Furnace Cleaning

Thank you, this is what we are thinking as well.

jyoung53D1
New Contributor III

We track everything above a specific $ amount.  It becomes a very rigorous process to track screws and fittings and its not typically worth it.  Consume those small $ amount things when transferred to the trucks, but also take a look at what you have to track as a truck.  If you need a location for every truck, so you know what they have at all times, then create trucks per technician.  If you have multiple locations and technicians changing trucks regularly, you may want a truck per job types or a truck per location.  That way your office staff or techs find it easy to know what is in the warehouse verse out and in transit.  The new mobile inventory app helps, but doesn't allow you to create the transactions.  I want our warehouse movements to be made mobile, I am not sure why you would not be able to create the transactions on the move.

Hopefully that helps answer your questions.

Thank you, some good points to think about.

Kevin_JPS
New Contributor II

We track all of our equipment, which is pretty easy to do.

The materials becomes a challenge. We've started using the consume on transfer option to our trucks, paired with the inventory template to track when we hit low on certain supplies in our shop. Instead of counting each screw in a box, we count just that box. If it's open, it's been consumed. 

We track it in order to have service titan do most of the heavy lifting for us as far as reordering, so that we don't have to manually count and keep track of all the little materials. 

Thanks, that gives me a bit more to think about.

mattlanh

We have not set up Inventory yet, but i would "second" the request for anyone to share their procedures for Inventory.  Thanks!