Linking a recurring service event to a previously completed job

Alyssa
New Contributor III

Currently, if the recurring service "button" is not pressed when the job invoice is exported, the recurring service is not recognized, nor linked to that completed job. Does anyone know of a way to link recurring service events to a previous completed job? Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Nancy
New Contributor III

When you dismiss the recurring event you get a window that asks if you want to recognize the revenue. That's the easiest way. Not sure if it's a config they need to enable. It's pretty quick and easy. 🙂

Alyssa
New Contributor III

Hi @Nancy. Thank you! Yes, we end up dismissing and recognizing for revenue purposes, but it would be nice to still have the ability to connect the recurring service event to the job it was performed on. 

tmendela
New Contributor

We dismiss the recurring service and put "Done on Job # and add the link to the job" in the log a follow up section on the event page. Then on the invoice that is created from dismissing the recurring service we add the job # in the invoice summary as well. 

Alyssa
New Contributor III

Hi @tmendela! Nice, yes that is what we end up doing as well. It just messes with our technician's reported numbers if it is not on the invoice as a task. We actually created a task to add to the job invoice to help keep track of the maintenance visits that are performed but not linked to the recurring service event. 

michael21
Contributor III

Hi @Alyssa.  I know you won't like this, but in our experience there is no easy way to fix this.  We now have 3 different review levels on newly sold maintenance contracts and on maintenance calls to be sure this doesn't happen.  But if it does, the only way we have figured out to fix it is to book and process a fake job with the button selected.  Of course, we book the job so that it doesn't have any sales or cost of sales so that it doesn't mess up our reports or accounting.  I hope someone has a better answer, but for us, that's been it.

Mike M CPA & Operations in KC, (go Chiefs)

Alyssa
New Contributor III

Hi, @michael21 Thank you for sharing your process! I hope there is an easier way too. We may look into adding another review level as well.