Applying a credit/refund to an exported invoice.

gamorosano
New Contributor II

I need to apply a credit to an invoice that has been exported, but no payment has been made as of yet. Can I just apply a refund through the payment screen or do I need to do an invoice adjustment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chayo80
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

I have a task in the pricebook called adjustment/special discount and it hits my Coupon/Discounts/Refund GL. Since payment hasn't been received, I would typically add the adjustment invoice and add that adjustment task as a negative value. Send the revised invoice to customer so they can make the payment on the adjusted balance due

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

gamorosano
New Contributor II

Thank you everyone for your help. I wound up doing the adjustment invoice.

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

Agree with Chayo80. We do an adjustment invoice, have a task set up as "Credit Adjustment" that can be a negative amount, then send the customer the corrected invoice that they can pay the balance on.

rgoit67
New Contributor III

We do our this way also , I was wondering do you uncheck the tax box ? we always run into trouble with this 🙂 

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

W do not add sales tax to each invoice. Our taxes are figured into our prices. I wish I could tell you more, but that part is not my area.

DianaK
Contributor

For credits, I recommend creating a payment type called "Credit" and have it hit an appropriate GL. Use that to ad a Payment to the invoice.

RandiThompson

Unless your account is set up different then mine you cannot add a negative "payment" so you would need to do an adjustment invoice with a task with a negative amount. 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

Chayo80

I have a task in the pricebook called adjustment/special discount and it hits my Coupon/Discounts/Refund GL. Since payment hasn't been received, I would typically add the adjustment invoice and add that adjustment task as a negative value. Send the revised invoice to customer so they can make the payment on the adjusted balance due