How to fix QuickBooks Error 15241 after update?

Mark56
New Contributor

I’m encountering QuickBooks Error 15241 when trying to update my software. The error message says, “Error 15241: The Payroll Service is not responding.” I’ve tried restarting QuickBooks and my computer, but the issue persists. I also attempted to update QuickBooks manually through the Help menu, but the error remains. I’ve ensured that my internet connection is stable and have even temporarily disabled my antivirus software, but nothing seems to work. Could someone provide detailed steps to resolve this error or suggest any additional troubleshooting methods? Your help would be greatly appreciated as it’s affecting my ability to manage payroll.

1 REPLY 1

Veronica321
New Contributor

Hey @Mark56 

QuickBooks Error 15241 occurs when the QuickBooks Desktop File Copy Service (FCS) is disabled or not functioning properly, often after a recent update. This error prevents payroll updates from being downloaded or installed correctly. To resolve this issue, you need to enable the QuickBooks FCS service. Start by closing QuickBooks and opening the Services window by pressing Windows + R, typing services.msc, and pressing Enter. Scroll down to locate Intuit QuickBooks FCS and right-click to select Properties. Under the Startup type drop-down menu, select Manual or Automatic, then click Apply and OK. Finally, restart QuickBooks and attempt the payroll update again. This should resolve Error 15241 and allow the payroll update to proceed.

Help support.png