I had a customer write us a check that was ultimately returned. I created an adjustment invoice on the original invoice and added a negative payment with a payment type of "Returned Check". This shows that the customer now owes us the amount of the returned check. The customer then called in with a credit card payment. I processed the credit card payment but now the original invoice still shows the money as being owed and the customer page shows there is an available credit in the same amount but I'm unable to apply that credit to the invoice. What am I missing?
1) Create a payment type NSF or Returned Check.
2) Create a task for Bank Charge.
The process I'm about to describe was completed on an exported payment that was applied against 2 separate invoices that were also exported. It was a returned check that was later paid by credit card. It was all done with a single adjustment invoice to only one of the jobs. I made a loom video of this for our CSR.
3) From the exported invoice create an adjustment invoice.
4) From the adjustment invoice click "add a payment".
5) Select your "NSF" or "Returned Check" payment, fill out description and enter payment for the amount of the returned check in a negative amount (-2436.45) Save.
6) Click add a task and select your bank charge ($25) Save.
6a) Note that the customer has a balance = to the returned check + the bank fee on both the customer profile and the original exported invoice. (If this is not true then you may have forgotten to "Save") If the customer does not have a balance you cannot apply a payment.
In this case our CSR collected the new amount (Returned check + bank charge) and it was automatically applied to the customer profile as a credit because I had not done the adjustment invoice and there was nothing to apply it to yet. If you had completed the adjustment invoice prior to taking the new payment you could just apply the payment to the adjustment invoice and skip the apply credit portion.
7) From the original exported invoice click "collect apply payment"
8). Click on Credits > Available Credit. > Check the credit.
9) Check apply to invoice, the only available option will be the adjustment invoice.
Done! Customer balance = $0 Customer Credits = $0
Batch it over to QB.
Service Titan won't let me apply the credit to the adjustment invoice.
I think that may be because there is no task on the adjustment invoice. There is only the negative "payment" of a returned check.
You're right it won't let you aplpy the credit. I have had to either delete or "refund" that payment and then go to that specific adjusted invoice with the negative amount and apply a new payment. All depends if it has been exported.