Zero Out Refund Invoice

johnsond
New Contributor III

Since ST has been updated with the payments module, it does not allow you to add a negative payment. I am looking to find out the easiest way to zero out a credit balance invoice. In the past I would create the credit invoice in ST, export to QB, issue the refund check out of QB and then go back in and add a "refund" payment type to zero out the invoice. That does not seem to be possible anymore, so I am looking for the easiest way to zero out a credit balance refund. 

The only workaround I have been able to come up with is adding an adjustment invoice to the credit balance invoice and then adding a payment type to the adjustment invoice, but surely there has to be a more efficient way.

The attached customer has a few rental properties and sold them. We cancelled his memberships and issued refunds out of QB, but I cannot figure out a simple way to zero out his ST invoices to clear his AR Balance. 

2022-11-21_14h46_48.png

If there is not an easier way to do this, I would like to suggest adding that feature back. Since all refunds aren't being processed directly out of ST, there should be some flexibility with zeroing out those invoices. 

6 REPLIES 6

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

I just tried to do this, but the negative payment that was in my batch, was not in my "Pending Export" report for me to bypass the export. It exported over to Quick Books and now I have a negative payment that I am unable to deposit because it is a negative amount. I am really not liking this update. 

johnsond
New Contributor III

I gave it a try and these are membership refunds, so there is no payment on them to "refund".

johnsond
New Contributor III

I tried that yesterday on a new refund and it worked beautifully! Created an adjustment invoice and refunded the customer as it should.

These refunds I am trying to zero out have already been issued prior to the introduction of the refund workflow and we are just trying to clean up our AR.  Prior to the refund workflow I was able to add a refund payment type to zero it out and it doesn't seem like that is possible anymore. Any other suggestions for that scenario?

RandiThompson
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

You should be able to add a negative payment on an adjustment invoice (not a real payment). Maybe that will fix it??

image.png

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

MadisonPCG
ServiceTitan Certified Provider
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

@johnsond if your refunds workflow is working well in ST. You could issue the refunds for these and then bypass them so they don't hit your accounting software a second time.

Madison Moritz

RandiThompson

Check out the automated refund workflow. I think it will work for you even if you are not refunding "directly" through ST. It gives you the option to "cut check in accounting software" but you start the process in ST and export to QB to finish (so the reverse of what it sounds like your currently doing)

https://help.servicetitan.com/how-to/set-up-automated-refund-workflow image.png

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating