Why is it that we can not delete a customer or location, only deactivate?

Previous ContributorPrevious Contributor
Former Community Member

The only way to "delete" either a customer file or location is to deactivate. Why is that?

It is very frustrating when inputting files that, if a mistake is made for any reason, you can only deactivate and not delete.......

8 REPLIES 8

Vickies
New Contributor III

It would be nice to have a delete and deactivate option. The delineation between the two would be that a deleted file is non recoverable nor searchable, and the deactivate feature would still allow you to locate the record but identify that it is deactivated, but also give you the option to reactivate it if need be. 

Former Community Member
@Kerrie Tamburello thanks for the input but I really would rather just be able to delete than have to go in and merge customer, then merge location..... one step for me is preferable to so many that it currently takes to clean up..... plus we have had an incident lately where one of my girls in the office doing cleanup got a little merge "happy" and caused a huge amount of additional cleanup to fix that little snafu....

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member
Instead of deactivating, would you be able to "correct" the incorrect location or customer, and then merge it into the one you want to use? Then there is only 1 accurate location or customer. Keeping you from having to deactivate (or delete) an account. This might be an option for you. We merge all the time to ensure there is only 1 account.

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member
I agree. It's our data. I prefer to keep records clean and delete for obvious typos and mistakes. We have to be responsible for it, but if we choose to delete it, that's on us.

Former Community Member
@Debbie Lutz -- that could be an option.... I have just been so frustrated from the very beginning that there is no way to delete. And I am not talking about established files but something that has just newly been input, in case there is a mistake, OR if Service Titan duplicates the file for some quirky reason. I have had that happen more than once.......

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member
Service Titan just needs to open this up as an option to the users. Some of us may choose to delete and others may not want to.

ddurbin
New Contributor III
Agree with @Marcy Teague

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member
Hi @Marcy Teague - when a record is deleted, all the historical data tied to that record will be permanently erased. On the flip side, deactivating a record keeps the historical data intact, but the user will no longer be able to make new entries or modify that record. A deactivated customer/location record will not appear on the Calls or Search pages.