Technician vs Dispatch Job Completion

barbara_6
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Hello, I just wanted to reach out and gather some feedback on how many people allow their technicians to complete the jobs versus having the dispatchers complete out the ticket in house. We have been on ST for 7+ years and have handled it both ways in the past. We currently have dispatchers complete the tickets because it provides a timestamp of who "verified" the job was closed out properly, in the past we had issues with technicians completing tickets and no one going back to verify it or not knowing who didn't verify the ticket, this results in the problem that no form triggers or signatures are stopping someone from closing out the job because from the office side we can bypass all those requirements without even knowing we are bypassing requirements. If anyone has any feedback on which method they follow and why they believe it's best, please share a message!! Thank you 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TFreeman
New Contributor III

At the shop where I used to work, we always had the technicians closing out their own tickets. It wasn't worth the inefficiencies for us to have the revenue producers waiting to get a hold of a dispatcher or spending that time debriefing the call. We set expectations and spot checked for accuracy. Then also used exception reporting to catch other "outliers". Such as $0 jobs, Commercial business units on non-commercial job types (or vice versa), Recall/Warranty job types without the proper box checked, etc. 

Depending on what you're checking for in your review process, there may be some reporting to help flag the outliers. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AmberC
Contributor II

@barbara_6 Hi there! From my experience it's more common for the technician to close out jobs but a lot of companies do utilize required forms that trigger when doing so. It really comes down to preference and staffing, honestly!

barbara_6

Yes, I really want us to get to that route because it causes too much overhead, just struggling with then making sure all tickets get checked and everything truly did get completed properly.

TFreeman
New Contributor III

At the shop where I used to work, we always had the technicians closing out their own tickets. It wasn't worth the inefficiencies for us to have the revenue producers waiting to get a hold of a dispatcher or spending that time debriefing the call. We set expectations and spot checked for accuracy. Then also used exception reporting to catch other "outliers". Such as $0 jobs, Commercial business units on non-commercial job types (or vice versa), Recall/Warranty job types without the proper box checked, etc. 

Depending on what you're checking for in your review process, there may be some reporting to help flag the outliers. 

barbara_6

Thank you, very helpful information!

Sheena_Palacios
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

In this case, it would be preference. I've seen it done successfully both ways. Just depends on whether you have more overhead power on the office side or vice versa. Try creating a form with a required* field, last I check that cannot be bypassed from the office or field.

Sheena @ NiFT

There is a setting that can be turned on by your CSM that can make those required forms be required on the office side too! 

barbara_6

Thank you! It was not working and I did not know there was a setting to turn on, we clearly don't have it turned on!

barbara_6

We have had forms required in the past, and they can be easily bypassed from the office side unless something has changed recently. Overall, just trying to figure out if we should change operations and allow our technicians to complete their own tickets or if people prefer having the dispatchers close out the tickets to verify accuracy because there are certain things technicians cannot verify accuracy for such as business units, return visits, follow ups etc. Thank you!

Sheena_Palacios

Hi @barbara_6 what I've seen work  for either sides to close out job is using triggers and forms but making specific fields required so that the form cannot be bypassed. You can also use conditional logic in forms to control if-then situations. This form can be used on either office or field.

Sheena @ NiFT