Home Improvement Contract and Service Contract requirements is California

irinavsd77
New Contributor
Questions for California contractors:

How do you satisfy the requirements of the Business and Professional code of having contract for each job signed by you and the customer, depending on the job total:

A. Service contract for jobs $750 or less (Section 7159.10) - no deposit, no 3 days notice of cancellation

B. Home improvement contract for jobs over $750 (Section 7159) - deposit of $1000 or 10%, notice of cancellation etc.

Questions:
1. Where you able to use the CA package? In this case is your Estimate becomes your contract? Contract have to be signed by both the contractor and the customer BEFORE the job starts.

2. Did you have to create those 2 contracts as your own forms and technician has to remember to sign before the job?

2. Did you figure out the way to trigger the correct form depending on the job total?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

JessicaSmith
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Step 1- Go vote for the idea I posted a few days ago about being able to customize more/turn it off completely for commercial business units: https://ideas.community.servicetitan.com/ideas/COMMUNITY-I-3259

Now I'll answer some of your questions (as best I can, because the product as a whole I'm not thrilled with)

1. Conceivably yes, you can use the estimate as your contract. You have to be really particular with your settings, you have to do it for EVERY business unit, and you can't turn it off for commercial so all your commercial stuff will also say HOME IMPROVEMENT CONTRACT 🙄

2. I haven't launched yet, I'm still making sure it's set up correctly, but I BELIEVE you can get all the verbiage you need onto the estimate and won't need separate forms.

3. If you do go the route of forms, maybe you could have a $0 invoice item that gets added to the sales call invoice that would trigger the correct form?

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

Hello Jessica,

I know this post was about a year ago, but can you please let me know if there are any more solutions in this area of Service Titan? Currently, I am agreeing with everything the original poster asked about, as there is still a lot to be desired. If there are better solutions I am not aware of, it would be great to hear from anyone in California that is getting around all this and navigating the system with ease and within regulations. Thank you! -Elisa

JessicaSmith

We gave up and use a separate fillable PDF form for our California Contract.

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

@JessicaSmith Thank you for the response!  Would you be able to share an example of this form and how you set it up with triggers and whatnot for it to be available to the techs and office staff?  We also have a form (not fillable as of yet).  It triggers on appointments for techs, and they are available to send in an invoice.  However, I can't figure out how to get it to be available for the office staff when sending an estimate.  Do you happen to be doing this, and would you be willing to share how you got it to work?

Thanks so much!

Elisa

e_dunn
Former Titan

Hi @irinavsd77  - welcome to the ServiceTitan Community and congratulations on your first post! Let's try and get some of your fellow Titans to weigh-in on this. 

@JessicaSmith - I know you had posted a few days ago about the California Compliance Invoice. Would you have any suggestions for @irinavsd77?