GPS Tracking

alemke
New Contributor II

If the Tech's leave the iPad on when they are in the truck, the system SHOULD be able to give the total distance driven (miles) in any give day.  If ST were to track miles driven AFTER LAST JOB, then we could see IF they are using the trucks for personal reasons.  Yes there are ways to manipulate the system, but perhaps they will do what they are asked to do.

If they will not oblige to leaving the iPad on after their last Job, then can ST at least show the TOTAL MILES driven (not duration) during working hours.  The system shows coordinates and duration...come on programmers...distance in miles should be a cake walk...you have the GPS in place...just program a report that will give total distance in miles!!  I can then bump that up against Reveal that is installed in the trucks and get the ST distance driven each day and the TOTAL distance driven from Reveal and determine IF they are using for personal usage.  

4 REPLIES 4

Ashley101
New Contributor II

I agree.  Right now I am having an issue with Fleet Pro pulling in data.  Most companies have truck inspections but not daily.  For me to make sure the data is pulling in correctly I have to add one more item to my to do list to remind them to send me their odometer reading which we play Fleet Pro to do.  I understand that things happen, and no system is perfect but when you are running a service operation and you cover a large area understand something as simple as miles driven vs. scheduled calls.  This can help with not only the management of gas prices but also knowing if trucks are having an issue, hiring to cover more area, and providing accurate job costing for companies that pay for drive time.  

CharlesL2C
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

Got it! Thank you for clarifying. I've used fleet GPS in the past and it was marginally useful like you said, with after-hours, etc. (and we were even able to prove we didn't blow through a stop sign on one occasion). Properly trained and incentivized dispatchers were always the best way to combat excessive driving for my money. Multiple screens that utilize maps (native GPS, Google, and ServiceTitan Maps 2.0) and full technician schedules with on-time arrivals are best for customers and companies. If you don't have an account / discount at a local gas station, this can be worth looking into as well. Also, signing up your dispatchers for local gas price alerts can give them the ability to send out SMS to technicians to let them know where to go or when to top off their tanks. 

CharlesL2C

I'm not familiar with Reveal but I'm curious why it doesn't solve your concern. Are you trying to combat side jobs after hours, making unauthorized stops during work hours, or something else? Are you looking to audit suspicious behavior or have a routine metric to check?

alemke
New Contributor II

Reveal is a Fleetmatic product put out by Verizon and YES it is a GSP system installed on the trucks.  This system is probably best suited for identifying side jobs and trucks being used outside of work hours.  My thought here is if we know a Service Tech is supposed to travel 77 miles today based on their home base and route for the day...I would expect the truck to travel close to that number.  If ST identifies a suggested 77 miles for the day and the technician travels 122 miles, then there is a red flag for where they are going thru out the day. We are now averaging over $16K in gas per month...if would be nice if we could deter the excessive/extra ordinary driving our techs are doing with our vehicles during working hours.