Guardrails for Clock In/ Clock Out?

ashsmith
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

I know a lot of companies have rules about how early before a shift you can clock in, timeclocks that don't allow anything prior to 15 min early, etc. I have a specific group of "technicians" that are notorious for clocking in at 6am (or earlier) and then hanging out at the gas station down the street, running to grab morning coffee, or some other errand non work related prior to their 7am start time. 

Obviously I will be doing some individualized training and correction to help this out, but does ST have any built in guardrails where you can set specific shifts for individual techs that prevent them from clocking in before a set time?

Ashley Smith
Retrofit Operations Manager
Reliant Air Conditioning
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jerodb
New Contributor III

Good morning! I don't believe ST has that feature. You may have to look into your local labor laws. But imo if the technician is clocking in and getting paid for none production time, even after you have set a standard then that is time theft. Your company culture may need some digging into to understand what the core issue Is and address it at the root of the problem. Trimming the weeds does not remove the problem as it passes it down the road till the next occurrence. Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

karintaylor
New Contributor

Our technicians have to dispatch to jobs, arrive and mark them as done. We have the setting for idle time to 5 minutes. Any idle time over 5 minutes is not paid. I'm not sure if that will work in your situation, but I thought I would mention it. 

Whittaker
New Contributor III

We are having issues with early clock ins, not to that level but definitely employees who clock in and take advantage of the time. I wish there was a way to limit early clock in to a maximum of 15 minutes ahead of time. 

Chelsea

ashsmith

Yes. I don't think it's at a trimming the weeds level yet. I'm just getting ready to start the process of doing payroll with the data from ST and trying to forsee potential issues that could arise! Thanks for the recommendation though!

Ashley Smith
Retrofit Operations Manager
Reliant Air Conditioning

Jerodb
New Contributor III

Good morning! I don't believe ST has that feature. You may have to look into your local labor laws. But imo if the technician is clocking in and getting paid for none production time, even after you have set a standard then that is time theft. Your company culture may need some digging into to understand what the core issue Is and address it at the root of the problem. Trimming the weeds does not remove the problem as it passes it down the road till the next occurrence. Hope this helps!