Need to Create a Manual Credit Memo to be applied later

plumbing3
New Contributor

Has anyone figured out a good way to create an available credit on an account other than applying an overpayment? I have a customer who has no balance and i need to put a credit on her account to be applied to a later service. I have tried doing a negative invoice from a fake job and it only puts a negative on the customer balance side which I would not be able to apply to an invoice later.

8 REPLIES 8

erinpbradley
Contributor

You may have to have the Customer Deposits workflow turned on, but I just go to the Customer Page --> Collect & Apply Payment. On the payment collections screen, select Apply to Customer Profile instead of Apply to Invoice. This adds a credit to the customer's account that can be applied to an invoice at a later date.

We don't have that turned on yet. Not sure why? I think we are too comfortable with how it has been running and didn't want any changes.

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

Adding to what rthompso said...We have made a payment type "Transfer Payment" for when things like this happen. We have customers that don't want us to send back their overpayment and just keep it to apply to the next job that may be a month or so down the road. We have to Transfer the payment from one invoice and then Transfer the payment to the other invoice. Then you just have to remember to Bypass Export so they don't go over to Quick Books.

RandiThompson
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

In that situation I would unapply the payment then reapply only the amount applicable to the invoice total, that would result in the remaining payment showing up  as a credit that you can apply to the next invoice. 

If I'm reading @plumbing3 post correctly they are trying to give a credit that was not actually from a payment? 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

We can't unapply a payment once it has been exported. That is why we made the "Transfer Payment" option. So adding to what you said about applying a dummy payment, they could then transfer it later when the new job got started or booked, because it didn't sound like there was one to apply anything to now. Just a thought. It would be nice to be able to create a credit memo against nothing and be able to transfer it later. We have done that to issue a refund check, but not to transfer to another job.

I never would have thought to just apply a 'fake' payment to the customer account, it is a great idea, but what i'm having trouble understanding is the QB side of this. @dwhite45  suggested Bypassing the export, but wouldn't you still want QB to reflect that they have a credit on their account so that the two programs match? With that being said, i'm guessing you would need to do an adjusting JE in QB to remove the 'fake' payment from undeposited funds since it's not a real payment...? 

dwhite45
Valued Contributor

We Bypass when it has already been paid so that we are not exporting a duplicate payment. As far as what you have going on, you would be exporting a payment that is not really there and probably wouldn't want to do that either. Sounds like you would either have to do it like you said above by removing the fake payment or better yet, adding a credit in QB when the job actually got completed, because you are still going to need that to balance in the end. 

RandiThompson

You can go to the customer page hit collect and apply payment and add a "dummy payment" to the account. Whichever payment type you choose you can put in the memo field "credit per...." 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating