Revenue Recognition

alemke
New Contributor II

This is an idea for interfaces, which falls closest to Accounting.  We use QB for our financials and we have struggled to reconcile QB to ST every month in terms of Revenue.  Part of the issue is we have jobs that are multi day jobs and ST recognizes the revenue upon the COMPLETION date.  Although I agree that Revenue should be recognized upon Completion, the Interface from ST to QB will transfer the INVOICE date from ST to QB.  QB uses the INVOICE date as the Revenue Recognition date and NOT the completion date.  

ST needs to allow the QBWC Interface to transfer the Completion date in ST to the Invoice date in QB. If we are transferring 1 day jobs, then there are no issues.  When we transfer multi-day jobs, the only way we can correct this in ST is to manually edit the Invoice Date to match the Completion date. Since we do over 7000 jobs a year, this is not just a few jobs...there are MANY jobs to edit!

1 REPLY 1

TFreeman
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I’m wondering if what you’re describing is solved by the invoice date being set to equal the completion date by default. For multi day jobs, if you’re using one job with multiple appointments for each day, there will be a 1:1 relationship between the job and the invoice. When the job is marked as completed, the invoice date should also populate with the same date. 
One thing to note, if a job is completed then that same job is rescheduled, the job completion date and the invoice date would  be populated with the date it was originally completed. In those situations the invoice date would need to be manually updated to the new actual date when the job is completed in it’s entirety. The recommendation is to not complete the job until the scope of that job’s work is complete. That should then correctly populate the invoice date automatically. 

Feel free to let me know if this doesn’t address what you’re looking for.