Transfer equipment from old home owners to new home owner account.

jamiem21
New Contributor II

We would love to be able to transfer equipment from the previous home owner to a new home owner. This happens for us a lot where we have a home owner moving out, the new owner calls in to request service or enroll in our membership either because the old homeowner suggested it or they see our sticker. We previously used ESC and it was just the click of a button to transfer the equipment from the old homeowner to the new homeowners account. Some of our customers have 4AC, 4 furnace, air scrubbers, humidifiers & dehumidifiers and it can be quite a process to makes sure it's all copied over correctly. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JessicaSmith
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

What you should do is put the existing location on the new customer account- equipment is attached to the location! Then you'll have all the service history too. Follow these steps:

1. Create the new customer (this will create a new location also)

2. Edit the exisiting location and change the customer to the new customer. This will leave the old customer with no location, but you keep a record of their billing history separate from the new customer.

3. Merge the old location and the new location (keeping the location with the new homeowner's name but bringing in all the equipment & service history)

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JessicaSmith

What you should do is put the existing location on the new customer account- equipment is attached to the location! Then you'll have all the service history too. Follow these steps:

1. Create the new customer (this will create a new location also)

2. Edit the exisiting location and change the customer to the new customer. This will leave the old customer with no location, but you keep a record of their billing history separate from the new customer.

3. Merge the old location and the new location (keeping the location with the new homeowner's name but bringing in all the equipment & service history)

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

We are old ESC users also and I was looking for the same thing. I see where you are coming from on merging the locations after changing the original customers name to the new but that doesn't work if the original customer was a building that has multiple locations. It would be so much easier to transfer the equipment just like we merge the location. If you do have a work around it would be appreciated. 

field_th

Hi Jessica,

I do like this approach as a work around. Main downside I can see is that the new owner might be able to see all past invoices when we turn on Customer Portal. We have lots of builders, for example, whose contracts, invoices, recalls, etc. are recorded in ST. While it might be a great thing for the new owner to have access to this, we would at least want the option to "limit" visibility of each owner to a certain time frame.

Unless I am missing something, transferring the entire location might work in some cases, but the builder is no longer attached to that location because historical data has been moved to another customer (owner).

Duplication (being the opposite of Merge) of location data (equipment, tags, etc.) seems to be warranted here and looks to be an accepted practice in other service software packages.

My 2,

Tommy Thompson

JessicaSmith

The new owner shouldn't be able to see invoices because only the location is attached to the new customer- the customer portal should be pulling from the customer account, which I am not merging in the process above!