Project Costing Report?

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member

Is it possible to create a "Project Costing Report"? Currently, the job costing report only pulls data from one specific job. Project costing is possible if you open each individual project, but this is time consuming if we want to be able to create something we can share openly in our office.

Any input would be great.

14 REPLIES 14

PCarew01
New Contributor II

I can't find a job cost report that shows revenue, costs and profit on all jobs filtered by exported invoices so that I can reconcile to our accounting software and also analyze job profit.   This should be a basic canned report. Can anyone help with this?

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member

You can see the job costing in the project invoice 🙂 It is a light colored gray in the middle of the page.

jamied
Contributor

Wow, that is crazy that you have to do that. Especially now with 2.0.

We have entered our burdened labor rates into each techs profile and now manually update their time sheets daily. This way the labor costs are automatically captured along with the PO's and any commission which we also enter manually. That has been very helpful for us.

Unfortunately the programmers and support do not seem to understand WHY we care about this information.

Today, when I asked about getting a calculated % gross profit (the amounts are there, it just doesn't calculate the %) , the answer I got, was that the labor, burden and other costs show what percent of revenue each cost is. I was asked why we would want that information and said they'd pass along my request for this convenience to the programmers.

I believe that all the ideas, discussions and requests are reviewed and filtered by people who don't understand business or what we do. I have found that if we can get past the layers to the right people, they will make the corrections. The trick is getting to the right person.

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member

I still want Service Titan to create a report that we can use that does all of this for me, but for now, we have created 2 reports that I combine into one report in excel.

The first report is based on invoice detail and gives me all of the costs under po's and materials. The other report is based on job details and that gives me the labor hours, which I convert into a dollar amount based on our labor burden. It is very cumbersome.

jamied
Contributor

Briana, I just tried to do that in reports 2.0 but couldn't find a selection to pull the labor.

How are you getting that information?

Thanks,

Jamie

jamied
Contributor

Isn't that the entire reason we pull the report? My issue is that the calculations that we have to do in excel for gross profit and % COGS are some of the most important and basic information that should already be there. It calculates the % of labor and purchase orders but not the total. It adds them up but doesn't calculate %. We should not have to export to excel to calculate the percent gross profit when all that information is already right there. All that is missing is the % calculation. Exporting to excel and adding calculations seems so unnecessary and defeats the purpose of reporting.

The customer name is also not included on the project job costing flyouts. It's such fundamental information. With all the changes and updates, I don't understand why this information is still missing. It's been asked for many times over a long period of time.

Project-based job costing is not specialized information that only a few people need. Most companies have at least some jobs that require more than one trip and every single one of us no matter what we do needs to know what our gross profit is.

Previous Contributor
Former Community Member

We have created our own Report in Reports 2.0 that pulls all of the jobs within a project and then totals all of the costs for the project. I then export the report to excel and add some additional fields, like % gross profit, etc.

jamied
Contributor

I just printed out the project costing flyout information on several projects but they are missing:

The customer name

% total costs / profit.

Total % of costs/ profit is not calculated on the regular job costing flyouts either. It's in the report along with a lot of other information but not on the flyouts.

Not sure if that was a simple oversight or someone in programming didn't realize that getting a % of gross profit is an important number. We really should not need to manually calculate this number on jobs and projects..

Previous ContributorPrevious Contributor
Former Community Member

We desperately need this. There must be a way to generate a summary report that you can then dig deeper as needed. Also - the Individual Job Costing report needs to have Profit percent added - not just amount. Profit should be renamed to Gross Profit.