Refunding overpayments in new Payment Collection System

michael21
Contributor III

I’ve spent a lot of time working in a test environment with the new Payment Collections system. One pitfall I fell into is a killer, but thanks to @plewis from Service Titan, (a very smart person on this process), I found a way out. Specifically, on refunding overpayments, if you follow the workflow in the Knowledge Base article “Create a refund for an overpayment”, you will be misled. This workflow, involving creating adjustment invoices with refund tasks and a payment to clear it, messes up job cost. The workflow @plewis gave me, however, works quite well. I won’t reproduce it here, but if you go to the post “Returned checks, disputed card payments, and anything else that is a negative payment” on this board, scroll to the bottom, (you may have to select the “Load More Replies” option, he describes the process in his discussion of scenario #2. In the new system, you won’t be able to apply a payment larger that the invoice amount, so if you get one, your only option will be to put it on account, so plewis’s approach is nearly universally the right way to do this. By the way, after following this process, the customer profile’s unapplied payments section will show each of them individually, they won’t offset. Don’t let this bother you, though, its only history. These don’t show as available unapplied payments on subsequent transactions.
ps. Ignore scenario 1, that’s my next post.

Mike M CPA & Operations in KC, (go Chiefs)
4 REPLIES 4

Tlfrazier
New Contributor II

We are 10 months past this post and still have the same issue. I just spent a frustrating morning trying to do a refund for a customer with steps that are misleading. When we are aware that KB articles are not correct we should either take them down or fix them. Had I not been following incorrect material I would have just contacted support and not gone through the hassle and could have had my customer taken care of right away. 

plewis
New Contributor III

Also if you Uncheck/untoggle the "View offset Credits" when looking at the credits on the customer profile, it will hide the credit/refund so you don't have to see the history of the refund if you don't want too!

Nice, @plewis, any similar option to suppress the offsetting credit/refund on the "Unapplied Credits" report previously discussed?

Mike M CPA & Operations in KC, (go Chiefs)

plewis
New Contributor III

@michael21.  To my knowledge there isn't an equivalent of the "View offset Credits" on the "All payments" report template.  

It is a great suggestion though so I'll be sure to mention it to the team when I get a chance!