Technician Profile Business Units

JillShaffer
New Contributor II

We are in the implementation stage of ServiceTitan trying to determine the level of detail we can have in our Business Units.  We use Quickbooks as our accounting software and have the business units mapped to QBs class.  Currently we have 3 office locations, 2 trades (HVAC & Plumbing), and 3 Disciplines (Install, Service, & Retro).  A sample business unit is 51430 Location1 Plumbing Install -  we repeat this process for each location, trade, and discipline.  Since a technician might perform work in more than one business unit and we can only assign one business unit to a technician profile, we have been advised to remove the business unit from the technical profile.  Unfortunately, this is causing problems for our Dispatchers.  Without the BUs, every single employee shows up when attempting to schedule a job.  Does anyone else run into the same problem with technicians that crossover between trades and disciplines?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sheena_Palacios
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

Hi @JillShaffer - under business units, there are two separate fields for Division and Trade. You can use this to distinguish a techs default BU. I've seen hybrid techs do jobs across all 3 trades and we focus on the job BU, not the tech BU. Luckily, there are reports that will help you distinguish both. I highly recommend you assign techs to at the very least a default BU. This is the way to track tech kpis, I would not advise leaving their BU blank unless the benefit of leaving blank is great than not.

Sheena @ NiFT

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sheena_Palacios

Hey @JillShaffer -- yes, that's how I've seen it done successfully. Example: "Houston - Electrical Service"  and you can map it to a specific class that's tied into accounting. Once you have the data, you can sort on any column you choose.

Sheena @ NiFT

Sheena_Palacios

Hi @JillShaffer - under business units, there are two separate fields for Division and Trade. You can use this to distinguish a techs default BU. I've seen hybrid techs do jobs across all 3 trades and we focus on the job BU, not the tech BU. Luckily, there are reports that will help you distinguish both. I highly recommend you assign techs to at the very least a default BU. This is the way to track tech kpis, I would not advise leaving their BU blank unless the benefit of leaving blank is great than not.

Sheena @ NiFT

Thank you very much for the quick response!  So it would be your suggestion to generalize our BU to just location and then use the Division and Trade fields within the ST BU for more detail?  How does this affect the data in your accounting software?  Are you only able to discern your financials by location and not trade or division?