Office training - coop student

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

We currently have a grade 12 high school student who is doing a full time coop placement with us. He is enjoying the technician side of it but we were thinking that we should also train him from the office side so he can see all different roles. He isn't so enthusiastic about spending a day in the office with us even when we tried explaining the importance of it. Do you have any suggestions of how to make an office day fun for him?

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jaquelin
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

I'd say to make a half day instead of a full day. Make sure you have planned exactly what is relevant for him to learn and also the why on some procedures. Like some things have to be done a certain way when he is out on the field. because of the impact his actions on ST will have to the office. 

For example some of our techs and sales advisors like to see their next call and were complaining as to why but we have our reasons. For example, we don't let our techs do a self-dispatch. The reason is because our dispatchers call the customer first to make sure they are home, give an eta, reverify access to some equipment etc. Once a technician dispatched himself to his next call without checking into the office only to find out his call was going to be rescheduled and was headed in the opposite direction of his new call.

So maybe things like that but understand an office workspace is not for everyone and that's okay...This is my first official office job and I am barely okay with it lol

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MirandaMel

This is a great opportunity for both the company and him!  Maybe give him some warehouse tasks like receiving/sorting, etc...along with some office time.  This way he becomes familiar with that side of things and doesn't feel like the whole day is in the office.  And have fun!!

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE
Acclaimed! Heating Cooling and Furnace Cleaning

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for the suggestion!! 🙂 I'm appreciating everyone's ideas. 

Khiana Klatt

BayleeR

I definitely agree that it is important to see both sides! I could see why he would lean towards the technician side thought it is really crucial to be able to understand what both or more roles are doing daily. It creates a very well rounded employee when you’ve been there and can understand what each position is doing to move the company forward! What I neat opportunity for him! Good luck! 

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

I also understand why he would enjoy the tech side of it more and have no interest in the office however, I believe if the techs take the time to understand just how much we do in the office/why we do it they grow to appreciate our decisions and our role more. They become thankful and it helps everyone to get along. Just like on the flip side - I believe it's also good for office employees to have a field trip day and to see how a tech's day operates. It helps to create appreciation and respect for all the different roles within a company.

Khiana Klatt

jaquelin

I'd say to make a half day instead of a full day. Make sure you have planned exactly what is relevant for him to learn and also the why on some procedures. Like some things have to be done a certain way when he is out on the field. because of the impact his actions on ST will have to the office. 

For example some of our techs and sales advisors like to see their next call and were complaining as to why but we have our reasons. For example, we don't let our techs do a self-dispatch. The reason is because our dispatchers call the customer first to make sure they are home, give an eta, reverify access to some equipment etc. Once a technician dispatched himself to his next call without checking into the office only to find out his call was going to be rescheduled and was headed in the opposite direction of his new call.

So maybe things like that but understand an office workspace is not for everyone and that's okay...This is my first official office job and I am barely okay with it lol

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

I completely agree that a half day may be better however, it gets tricky because he would need a pick up/drop off with a technician then to do his other 1/2 day in the field since he has to ride with a tech and can't go out on his own. 

I appreciate the idea of teaching him the importance of what he does in the field and how it affects us in the office/explaining our reasoning and decisions! It's true - there is a reason for everything!

I also understand that an office space isn't for everyone. I appreciate that we are all different! I would like to be able to show him how ST works though - especially if he decides to stay with us after his placement.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Khiana Klatt

Miranda

Make sure you have plenty of snacks for him 😉 

I don't have any great ideas, but I would just say try to keep it as interactive as possible. Let him do as much as you can. Not sure if that helps you out at all or not.

I would be interested in hearing how this goes for you!

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

We do have snacks for him haha and a Keurig machine. 😂 

I definitely want to keep it interactive however, it's tough because since he is only in grade 12 and not a paid employee, there is only so much I can allow him to do. He also isn't interested in doing the ST training videos.

Khiana Klatt