Technician Password Reset - Mobile

TandiWP1
New Contributor II

We've had administration changes, and some processes are being evaluated to determine if they are best practice. We currently require our technicians to call the office for a password reset on Service Titan if/when the technician is logged out of ST. Then they have 24 hours to come into the office to have an office member reset the password so the technician doesn't know the password. 

1. Is this process considered best practice for Service Titan? 

2. How do other companies handle ST password resets for technicians?

3. Do you have any different measures to ensure security of the system? 

7 REPLIES 7

jaquelin
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

We let them reset it on their own depending how tech savvy they feel. Either I send them a reset password link to their work email or I set a temporary password for them and then they reset it on their own. 

Steveng

Agree with Randi and Miranda, we use a similar process.  Issue temp password and during onboarding I let them login and reset their password.  We update their personal password sheet they keep that contains their updated password.  We can easily change in the event of a termination or break in employment or afterhours password reset.  Our reasoning for implementing that workflow is because we want to limit the time our billable techs are down due to minor IT issues.  A password reset is minor on our end and could potentially costs us $1,000's of dollars in drive-time (having to stop by the office) versus billable time, it also might encourage a culture of distrust.     

If your team has concerns about phone privacy and user management of passwords, have you considered an MDM (Mobile Device Manager) tool?   The BCN had a good video and there are many other resources, we piloted SOTI and it was pretty awesome, even though we decided against due to costs.  

MirandaMel

Our techs let me know they need a reset and I give them a temporary code, then they change their password.  We do the same as Randi...disable the ability for them to log in as soon as they leave the company.

Miranda Melnychuk, RSE
Acclaimed! Heating Cooling and Furnace Cleaning

RandiThompson

Out of curiosity why does it matter if the tech knows their password and or resets it? As soon as a tech leaves our company we disable mobile access so they can't log in on any device. 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

I appreciate your feedback. Your response is exactly what I was desiring as I believe the current process is in place due to a former employee's desire and not for best practice. 

Miranda

We let our technicians reset their own passwords.

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

TandiWP1
New Contributor II

Thank you. This is helpful to know.