How did you get into this role?

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Good morning Lady Titans!

I remember in a recent meeting I was in, someone mentioned how, as ladies, we typically don't grow up thinking we will go into the trades. It typically isn't our goal or our dream but yet here we are. I believe, as women, we have so many wonderful qualities to bring to the table! Share below - how did you find your current role? What did you do before? 

I worked in childcare for several years. I love love children and teaching and am so passionate about it. I also thoroughly enjoy children's mental health and working with children who have special needs. However, the career was physically, mentally and emotionally draining. The pay also was not adequate enough for what you were putting into it so I began searching for a new career. I felt stuck because childcare was all I knew and I couldn't afford to go back to school either. Friends of my family owned a local HVAC business and they posted they were hiring for a new CSR. I didn't think I would ever qualify but after submitting my resume and coming in for an interview, I was hired! I never expected to find myself in the trades but here I am! It has been a huge change but I've been enjoying learning new things.

I cannot wait to hear your stories!

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling
20 REPLIES 20

ChelseaTitan
Contributor

So - I did video game Customer Support and Tech Support for ages then moved back to San Francisco.  After covid, and after unemployment ran out, I had to find something fast.  While I was busy being just really abused at a Barbershop sweeping hair, I saw an add on Craigslist for a Plumbing Dispatcher.  I got hired on the spot with my Customer Service and office experience.  

About a month later they asked me to help write estimates.  From there I began to manage the larger projects, and learn Service Titan on behalf of the company. 

Then, I hit a glass ceiling and spread out, eventually being called by a plumbers who had more to offer, less stress, and a new title!  I never ever dreamed I'd land in Plumbing, but I love it!!

Dispatch and Office Supervisor - Smelly Mel's Plumbing

mirdesch
Contributor II

I started in the pharmacy in my hometown and was there for about 4 years! I then got married and moved to the city and worked at the hospital in Health Records and HR. A few years later, I then moved and worked at a large doctors office until I had my son. My husband is an HVAC tech, and he decided he wanted to start his own business. At first he did not need my help, but as we grew I was needed more and more. I did not go back to the doctors office, but rather started working full time for the business. 

The business is growing fast and I get to work with amazing people, such as @KhianaKlatt 😁

agaudreau_2190
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Awesome story, Khiana! It is so great that you found another passion you enjoy! My dad was an asphalt project manager and eventually owned his own paving company. He helped construct the Homestead Speedway and Daytona tracks, most of I95 & Alligator Alley in Florida.  Growing up, if we didn't have school but my dad had to work, we would just go to jobsites or the office. He was big on innovation and wrote articles about safety for roadworkers for the Miami Herald. I remember thinking how amazing the women at the meetings were, who were project managers and engineers writing in those old red project books.  My mom has worked at Home Depot my whole life, I can't remember her ever missing a day of work basically a superhero. I am an Operations Coordinator for our Service & Residential Department currently and I think I went into this field because it is familiar to me, I am graduating with my  AAS in Transportation, Logistics & Supply Chain Management this May and going to pursue my bachelors in Project Management or Business Analytics.

I loved reading all the stories! ❤️

Ami Gaudreau

Wow - such a cool story! That's super cool your dad was able to take part in those roadway projects and that you would get to join him growing up. My dad owns his own masonry company and I'd love the days I would get to ride in the truck with him - good memories for sure. It sounds like you have amazing parents and it is so sweet how much you look up to them. They must be proud of you too. Congrats on graduating!!

Khiana Klatt

sambott1
Contributor

I kind of stumbled into this position and industry, and it feels right. My dad (who I lost in 2019) dabbled in all the trades, and so it makes me feel a little more connected to him, in a way. 

Miranda

That's really neat! A special way to connect!

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Oh, that is so sweet. I'm sure he would be proud of you for entering the trades. What a nice way to feel connected to him.

Khiana Klatt

BayleeR

I am loving reading all the neat stories everyone has! 

I started as a licensed Cosmetologist/Massage Therapist then I married a Diesel Mechanic. All trades of some sort, but all different than HVAC and electrical that I’m doing now. I quick my Cosmetology Job to be a homemaker and ended up getting my business degree in the meantime. Then I went into management for a small local restaurant because I wanted to help a friend 😍 I completed my time there and decided to go back to being home full time to raise my son and I love it so much. I ended up being blessed with the opportunity to work remotely on the marketing/admin side of Red Barn Electric and it had been amazing thus far! It’s so nice to pitch in monetarily but also still be raising my little guy at the same time! Not to mention getting to work along side my best friend as well! 💕

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

So lovely you get to work from home to spend time with your little guy! What an interesting story. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Khiana Klatt