How to handle customer that only want prices over the phone?

annal_3
New Contributor

Hello:)

I am wondering how many of you actually give out pricing for your services? What do you say to customers if you do not give out pricing? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

thogan
New Contributor III

Does the person answering your phone have a script for this? Usually people calling in for service do not have much knowledge about what they actually need. After explaining that the technician would need to view the issue to ascertain the pricing for the job -and getting a follow up question for a ballpark type price, it usually helps if one can ask more specific questions, not to make the customer seem ignorant, but to probe about the types of equipment in more detail. Usually when customers can understand they truly don't understand what the real issue is, they will be happy allow a trained professional to come and look at the issue to give them the best options for their home and family.

View solution in original post

mdaniels1
New Contributor II

One of the best ways we have been able to over come this is by having an honest conversation with the customer about why it is in their best interest not to give pricing, particularly ballpark pricing, over the phone.  We had a CSR last year use the phrase "It would be irresponsible and unprofessional of me to try and give you this over the phone when I am not an expert who can do it accurately, and with how every home and situation being as different as they are, it is essential for us to get our expert technician onsite in order to give you the best options custom designed for your and your home.  That way you have all the tools to make the most educated decision for you, your home and your family.  I have Availability..."  This simple format has made a huge difference as more of our team have adapted it in order to overcome these types of objections and it has been measurable.  At the end of the day, there will always be that customer who only wants it over the phone, and that is OK, they are just not the customer for us.  But by building value and showing them why it is so important to have a trained expert be the ones to give them this information, it has gone a long way to overcoming these for our team.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

brandiCVCSucces
ServiceTitan Certified Provider
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

We start by showing our value through phone scripts.  Next we tell them all the reasons why each situation is unique and different and why we would not want to give them inaccurate information prior to laying eyes on the job.  Showing our value comes first. They will be able to find a company that will come out for free or give them pricing over the phone so they need to hear our "elevator pitch" of why we are different.  

asnow
Valued Contributor II

Hi Anna! We actually addressed this during our Lady Titan's call today! Here's an overview of some tips I give when it comes to the PRICE question: https://www.servicetitan.com/blog/webinar-recap-angie-snow-csr

LukeMacaulay
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

My CSR team uses a variation of the following to try to combat the price shoppers. "We strive to provide best in class service to all of our customers. In order to do that, we need to have one of our highly trained technicians come evaluate the issues that you are experiencing and have a conversation about what steps can be taken to fix them. I can get someone out to you as soon as (date of next available appointment). Does that work for your schedule or is there a better date that works for you?"

If that does not work (and it does not always), then like @wch_alex mentioned, have the CSRs begin asking more probing questions about the issue(s) the customer is asking for pricing on. If the customer asks why they are being asked so many additional questions, assure them that it is so we have the most accurate information so that we can find the root issue and give them the most accurate solution but that since we are not there we cannot test things out to ensure this has truly fixed everything.

Hope this helps.

scottf_GBO
Contributor II

Here are some phrases we use...

1. We need to have 2 hands and 2 eyes on it to determine the depth of the work needed.
  2. Every job is different and we price per the job itself.  For example, replacing an old faucet that is rusted will require more work than a faucet in good shape.  So we would charge according to the work required.
  3. We are an upfront company.  We don't like to give pricing over the phone and then find out the work is more in depth and have to charge you more.  We don't want to be misleading in any way.
  4. I am not a plumber, so I really couldn't answer that for you.  But our technicians are trained professionals.  They can answer all of your questions and give you pricing before they do any work.  Upon your approval, they can get started and take care of you. 
  5. We don't have access to the pricing here in the office.  (when they keep pushing)
Scott Forbes
Custom Climate Concepts

dsuarez
New Contributor II

We tell them that our specialty is answering the phone and scheduling for a tech to come out.  Being we are not licensed plumbers we would not want to give false information.  Then we focus on what we can do which is schedule the appointment.  I love reply above!

mdaniels1
New Contributor II

One of the best ways we have been able to over come this is by having an honest conversation with the customer about why it is in their best interest not to give pricing, particularly ballpark pricing, over the phone.  We had a CSR last year use the phrase "It would be irresponsible and unprofessional of me to try and give you this over the phone when I am not an expert who can do it accurately, and with how every home and situation being as different as they are, it is essential for us to get our expert technician onsite in order to give you the best options custom designed for your and your home.  That way you have all the tools to make the most educated decision for you, your home and your family.  I have Availability..."  This simple format has made a huge difference as more of our team have adapted it in order to overcome these types of objections and it has been measurable.  At the end of the day, there will always be that customer who only wants it over the phone, and that is OK, they are just not the customer for us.  But by building value and showing them why it is so important to have a trained expert be the ones to give them this information, it has gone a long way to overcoming these for our team.

thogan
New Contributor III

Does the person answering your phone have a script for this? Usually people calling in for service do not have much knowledge about what they actually need. After explaining that the technician would need to view the issue to ascertain the pricing for the job -and getting a follow up question for a ballpark type price, it usually helps if one can ask more specific questions, not to make the customer seem ignorant, but to probe about the types of equipment in more detail. Usually when customers can understand they truly don't understand what the real issue is, they will be happy allow a trained professional to come and look at the issue to give them the best options for their home and family.

wch_alex

Hi, Well I guess it depends on what you are trying to sell. I think talking to your sales personnel and getting in touch with them (a meeting) to create a unique strategy would be the best bet for your company. I would talk about things such as what we want to sell and what would entice the customer to be interested as well as providing and explaining the need to that customer that you need to go out to their house.

If this helped please leave a kudo below!