Major Key to Employee Retention

asnow
Valued Contributor II

When it comes to finding and retaining new employees, we know this is a super competitive market right now. 

I found an article in Contracting Business about a very simple thing that leaders can and should be doing to engage with their employees. The author of the article, Joe Dysart, suggests that we should be having "Stay Interviews" with our employees. 

It's a simple concept that shows how just taking some time to talk to your employees -- even when it's busy (ESPECIALLY when it's busy) can give your employees an opportunity to talk about their experiences and ideas, and solicit feedback. Owners and managers should NOT be waiting until an annual or quarterly review to do this. 

I especially loved the section where the author quoted Beverly Kaye, the co-author "Hello Stay Interviews, Goodbye Talent Loss": "Most employees who leave don't "start looking for other opportunities because of dissatisfaction with pay, perks or benefits." Instead, Kaye says employees are more likely to bolt if one of these key 'reasons to stay' are lacking:

• meaningful, challenging work
  • a chance to learn and grow
  • a good boss
  • the sense of being a part of a team.

I would love to hear how you're engaging with your employees 1:1 beyond your annual reviews. Or - if you're an employee, tell us how your manager or owner has excelled in this area! Would love to hear your comments below!

7 REPLIES 7

MML
New Contributor II

Great stuff here from everyone. We have found that making the entire team part of building new processes is a great way of keeping the teams engaged. While the participation levels will vary, we are always pleasantly surprised at the amount of buy-in and the level of detail we get from some unexpected places. 

asnow
Valued Contributor II

Absolutely! I love that you involve the team in building the process. 

LukeMacaulay
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

Weekly 1 on 1's are a great way of staying engaged with employees. It helps you stay in front of employee unhappiness and keeps you engaged with your direct reports. This goes for everyone from CEO/owners, all the way down to supervisors/team leads. It also shows that you as a leader, care about your employees in a meaningful and impactful way and can be a good time to talk to your reports about individual personal and professional goals and how those goals align with the company goals.

asnow
Valued Contributor II

Couldn't have said it better Luke! 

rstare

Thank you for sharing Angie! Really impactful stuff here

AshleyB

This was a great find @asnow 

AmberC
Contributor II

@asnow Love this! Getting the right people in place and keeping them is so crucial to the success of any business!