asnow
Valued Contributor II

Hi friends,

We had a wonderful Lunch and Learn last week and had a really fun training session on the DISC model. As a Certified DISC Consultant for the John Maxwell method, I shared images and graphics from his program.

The idea behind the DISC model of behavior has been around for almost 100 years. William Moulton Marston, a physiological psychologist, introduced this idea in 1928 and focused on observable behaviors of others. When observing these behavioral expression of emotions, they could typically be categorized into one of four areas: 

D - Decisive, Direct, Dominant, Results driven

I - Influential, Persuasive, Relationship driven

S - Steady, Supportive, Easy-going, Agreeable

C - Compliant, Conscientious, Accurate, Detail oriented

asnow_0-1692648218652.png

You'll notice from the quadrant that D and I styles are more outgoing, while S and C tend to be more reserved. Additionally, D and C styles are more task focused, while S and I styles are more people focused. Just by looking at the chart, and with the small amount of information I have provided, you might immediately know which of the four styles you fall into. Perhaps you are strong in two or three of the areas.

There are many free and paid options to participate in DISC assessments to get more thorough understanding of your own behavioral style, and the styles of those you work with. We have really enjoyed investing in this insight at our company. I noticed that our CSRs are mostly S's but also have strong D, C and I characteristics based on the CSR. 

During our lunch and learn it was fun to see the different styles just in our meeting. We talked about communication strategies to help you connect with each of the four behavioral styles, whether it's a co-worker, customer or a family member. Here are a few:

D - Be brief, direct and to the point; Focus on results, problems and outcomes

I - Allow time for socializing; Don't do all the talking; Don't ignore their ideas

S - Create a friendly tone; Minimize potential for confrontation; Show interest in them as a person

C - Provide all the details; Be very specific; and Use validated facts

Oftentimes, people will ask, “What style is best?” The answer, of course, is…YOURS!  You are gifted with strengths that, when used, contribute to the work and lives around you. When we take the time to communicate and connect with others through their style instead of ours, we build the bridge to successful work and relationships.

Please comment below and let me know what your style is, and how that's helped you excel in your current role!

4 Comments