Remaining positive on calls

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Conversation topic for the group:

As a Customer Service Representative, we are the first voice the client hears so we want to make sure it is a pleasant one. However, if a Customer Service Representative is genuinely having a bad day and is upset - how do you leave everything at home and put a smile on for the day? Curious to hear everyone's tips! 

I play my favourite music, make a tea and keep some good snacks in my drawer for those days I really need them. I try to focus on the client and their problem and finding them a solution rather than on my problem. Also - solving their problem brings some satisfaction! I try to stay busy so my mind cannot drift. Sometimes if I am having a hard day I will try to do nice things for others and focus on them instead. I'll leave jokes on sticky notes for the techs to find for example. Seeing them chuckle helps! 

I'd love to hear everyone else's tips for hard days! How do you leave home at home and put a smile on for your clients? 

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling
26 REPLIES 26

jenn_comfortmax
New Contributor III

It is hard to stay positive when I am the only CSR/Dispatcher in the office.  I always play my Christian music that keeps me grounded.  I remind myself how I would react if I was on the phone being the customer and how I would like to be treated.  I like to text message a lot so I don't have that interaction on the phone.  Less likely to get frustrated that way.  😜

ericaramsey
New Contributor III

I Love all of the creativity behind everyone's answers!  Our team finds little unobtrusive ways to keep our collective spirits up.   For example, one day a CSR was having a hard day and I told her about the Ted Lasso speech about the Goldfish - "Be a goldfish.  A goldfish only has a ten second memory".  And I drew her a pic of one.  She has kept it on her monitor, which has delighted me.

Another CSR has a little guy - a little boy - so time away from him to deal with cranky customers is hard.  So I  drew her several things - one of which is a hedgehog saying "Thank you" - which cheered her up.

The little things may be little, and may not solve much, but I find that done repeatedly over time, add up to a bigger positive morale boost and helps everyone take the really bad days a bit less seriously.  🙂Hedgehog.jpgTed Lasso Goldfish.jpg

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing! 

Khiana Klatt

Most welcome!  🙂  Have a great day!

Love them!!  A little bit goes a long way!

ericaramsey
New Contributor III

Thank you!  Let's do this!  🙂

Miranda
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

This is a great topic and unfortunately hits a little close home right now! 😔 Thankfully I am able to answer the phone and use my customer service voice even if I am having an off day. However, on those tough days, it is so much harder to focus on those other office tasks that need done and I get distracted much easier. The others in the office always can tell when I am down. I don't hide it well at all! I love the idea of trying to do nice things for others and focus on them instead! We just added another office person, so our support group for each other is a little stronger now and that helps a lot!  Your favorite snacks and drinks always help! ❤️ 

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC

KhianaKlatt
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for sharing! I agree - I still put on my customer service voice but it is a lot harder to focus on hard days. I'm sorry it hits so close to home currently and I hope things get better for you soon! Take advantage of that office support group and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Have a great weekend Miranda! 💜

Khiana Klatt

Miranda

Thanks! It will get better! My vehicle took a hit while I was parked at my apartment a couple nights ago. I found the damage whenever I was leaving for work. I have never had to deal with anything like this before, so filing a police report, calling insurance, dealing with the body shop has all been new territory. I have been blessed to get in touch with very kind and helpful people though! I wasn't hurt so I am thankful for that too!

Miranda Hufford, Office Manager @ Red Barn Service, LLC