brandiCVCSucces
ServiceTitan Certified Provider
ServiceTitan Certified Provider

Yesterday, we had to lay our 14-year-old labradoodle to rest.  We adopted Zoe when she was 2 years old.  Her family had to move overseas and entrusted her to a family friend.  The family friend was no longer going to be able to care for her and was taking her to the shelter the next day.

It had been 3 years since we had a pet.    I had been hesitant to open my heart to another animal after losing my 12-year-old Labrador retriever.  However, when I met Zoe, I knew she was meant for us. She was young and exuberant.  She loved chasing balls around the yard and was calm and comforting.  This would prove necessary as our daughter would spend days brushing her and putting every hair barrett she owned in her fur. Zoe never seemed to mind and welcomed the attention. 

I was running a lot at the time and would take Zoe on long runs with me to get her energy out. When our son hit puberty, we noticed a shift.  It was as though Zoe could tell he needed extra attention and love.  From then on, she slept in his bed at night, and he became her person.  When he left for college last year, I figured she would see this as her time to go too.  She had slowed down over the years, and developed heart disease and cancer.  However, she hung on.  We continued to pamper her, bringing her to work with us every day, getting her groomed every six weeks, and spending weekends at the dog park.

Zoe had surgery about a month and a half ago and recovered well.  However, these days she would walk and fall, and not want to eat as much, and we could tell her arthritis was causing her pain.  This past Thursday when it became clear she had another stroke I was heartbroken at the thought of taking her to the emergency vet and having to put another pet to rest on a cold metal table.

I then recalled I had picked up a card at our vet a few years ago after her first stroke.  It was for a hospice vet who would come to your house and euthanize your beloved pet in the comfort of their own bed.  I called the number and was immediately greeted by a very caring, empathetic, and gentle voice on the other end of the line.  She first gave her condolences for what we were going through.  She said, “What is your sweet Zoe’s age”?  I felt so comforted in those moments on the phone with her.  I wish I had the call recording as it was a perfect customer service call.  She asked if it was okay to place me on a brief hold, and she apologized for my wait when she came back.  She offered me the next available appointment time and gave me two other resources in case that was not soon enough.

When the vet arrived at our home yesterday, she also spoke in a very soothing manner and showed empathy before she even got into our home.  She let us express our concerns and listened to our stories of Zoe.  She made a paw print and gave us a clipping of Zoe’s hair.  She allowed us the time and space to Facetime with our son away at college. After she administered the medicine, she stepped outside to give us time to grieve.  After placing Zoe on the stretcher, she covered her in a blanket in a kind and compassionate manner. She left us with resources and said she would follow up by email the next day. 

The office seems a little bit lonelier today without her here. We could not have asked for a better experience under the circumstances.  It was evident that everyone from the CSR to the vet had specialized training in end-of-life care for pets.  This experience has left a lasting impression on me and my family.  It has reminded me that no matter the circumstances we can always provide the utmost exceptional customer care.

1 Comment
barbaral
Contributor

It's just so hard to lose our beloved family pets.  However, I truly loved hearing about the caring people at this Hospice Vet.  It really is nice to know that they were all so compassionate - it had me in tears that they were so kind & considerate.   Thank you for sharing the story, as hard as it might have been.  😭