As a dispatcher, what do you think is a common misconception about your job?

Zakw
Contributor

I've been a dispatcher in Washington state for nearly 20 years.....oh wow.

I was wondering what my fellow dispatchers have encountered in terms of what people are mistaken about what we do.

Very curious to get some great feedback,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RandiThompson
ServiceTitan Certified Administrator

I love it! The weirdest part of the transition was hearing cuss words in the office 😂 Technicians are really just big children so its technically not that different! Also angry customers are like angry parents! 

Randi Thompson
Bill Joplin's Air Conditioning & Heating

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

RandiThompson

I love it! The weirdest part of the transition was hearing cuss words in the office 😂 Technicians are really just big children so its technically not that different! Also angry customers are like angry parents! 

Randi Thompson

I've accepted this as a solution because man, if that ain't THE TRUTH.

That's a fair answer haha! I can also listen to the radio now in the office instead of children's music! True, we went from angry parents to angry customers and from managing children to managing techs haha!

Khiana Klatt
CSR ServicePlus Heating and Cooling

JessicaSmith

I worked in a daycare in my early 20s!

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions

RandiThompson

It must be more common than we think!! 

Randi Thompson

Zakw
Contributor

I've heard that myself. "It must be nice to get to wear shorts to work." As for the assistant....I've taken technician's personal vehicles in for oil/tire changes because in busy season they're working far longer than "bankers hours" 

I think that a big misconception is we don't know what it is like to drive in bad weather or bad traffic. I'd rather have the field technicians reach out and let me know they'll be late so that I can pass that on to the customer as soon as possible. 

RandiThompson

That its easy......... "well you just sit at a computer in the AC all day, how hard can it be"

Randi Thompson

JessicaSmith

Technicians think dispatchers are there to be their assistants.

Jessica Woodruff Smith, LadyTitans Co-Founder & Process Manager at AirWorks Solutions